Orthopedics Community
Problems after trigger finger release

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Problems after trigger finger release

I had trigger finger release done in nov 2010 on my right middle finger.  I no longer have locking but have swelling, stiffness Nd cannot fully extend the middle finger. Went back to the hand surgeon and he sent me for therapy.  When the therapist works on it he can increase the range of motion slightly but by the next morning it is back to square 1 despite my exercises at home.  Plus when I try to use ESP to type it doesn't work the way I want it .  When I try to use it it hurts and even hurts in my wrist and up my arm.  My dr thinks it is just a nuisance and no big deal ESP because I can work.  I just compensate and usually use my thumb and pointer.  Anyway is it likely that I will regain full ROM and what else can I do to help this.  
Thanks for any advice.
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the primary cause of trigger finger in your case, it may be difficult to comment in detail. After post surgical treatment, it may take some time for the finger mobility to return to normal. It is advised to continue with regular physiotherapy during the period. You may also continue exercises as suggested by your physiotherapy at home by yourself as well. If it hurts while using the ESP, you are probably overdoing it and may need to slow down. However since it has been sometime since the surgery, I would also suggest a review by an orthopedician to look for involvement of other secondary causes. If there is no attributable secondary cause found, you may try OTC NSAIDS or anti-inflammatory dexamethasone cream/ corticosteroid injections and see if these seem to help. Occasional warm compress may also help with the healing process.
Hope this is useful.

Take care!
Thank you for your response.  Next week is my last pt apt and I have been doing the exercises at home as instructed. I have also been using heat and NSAID s.  Pt helped to regain some ROM but I still cannot fully extend this finger at all.  At this point with pt being discontinued I feel like this is how my finger is going to stay permanently.  I know it's just a finger and in the grand scheme of things i could be far worse off. . . But I was just hoping to get a little more range of motion back.  Unfortunately when it doesn't work the way I want it to I compensate and just use my thumb and pointer which probably adds to the problem.  
Hi there!
Well as mentioned, without an evaluation it would be difficult to comment on if it is a functional issue or a physical obstruction that is hampering movement in your case. If on evaluation there is nothing specific found that could hamper movement, it is likely to be a functional problem. I would recommend extending physiotherapy by a few more weeks in a situation like this. Also as mentioned in the previous post, you may try OTC NSAIDS or anti-inflammatory dexamethasone cream/ corticosteroid injections and see if these seem to help. Occasional warm compress may also help with the healing process. If nothing seems to work, you may consider a re-evaluation by your orthopedician.
Hope this is useful.

Take care!
I was just wondering how you can tell if there is a physical obstruction such as scar tissue from the trigger finger release or if it is a functional issue.  The PT made a little progress but not much and he said next week should be my last visit. It feels and looks really tight around and above the scar.  Just not sure where to go from here.  The hand surgeon made it seem like PT wad all he had to offer.  If it is a physical obstruction what else could be done?   Thanks for any input !