Orthopedics Community
Problems with a walking cast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Problems with a walking cast

I broke my ankle, a spiral fracture of my fibula, 5 weeks ago.  I went to the orthopedic surgeon after a week and he put on an air cast or walking cast (the kind you pump up with a little hand pump).  I went to the ER the next day because the pain was even worse with the cast on.  Every time I moved it felt like my bone was pulling apart.  I had them put a regular cast on.  That was on for 2 weeks and then I went back to the OS and he put the walking cast back on.  It still hurts every time I move wrong and when I bump it, it's excruciating.  Why are they so eager to put these walking casts on?  The regular cast was so much more comfortable and I could put weight on it just as well.  They didn't give me any range of motion exercises to do when it's off.  Are there cases in which it's contraindicated?  

Any advice or similar stories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Nicole