Orthopedics Community
Problems with the wire that hold broken knee cap together

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

It has been 6 months since I fell and broke my knee cap into 5 pieces.  The Doctor did surgery and wired it back together.  Then 6 weeks of Physical Therapy.  I was walking almost normal, pain was minimal.  But this past week when I get up to walk I feel as though the wire has moved and the pain is more than I can bare.  I am back to walking without bending my knee.  Has anyone heard of this?
Hi there!

Well, this could be a sign of infection, inflammation, patellar dislocation, degenerative joint disease etc though there is a possibility of wire fracture as well. If the fixative is placed caudal to the central patellar axis and falls on the compression surface there is a possibility that it will bend and fail. It would be best to get this evaluated by your orthopedic surgeon. A complete evaluation may require a physical examination and imaging studies like the x-rays etc. After a cause is diagnosed, it can be managed accordingly. Meanwhile you may try some NSAIDS for pain relief and avoid stress on the joint.
Hope this helps.

Take care!