Problems with the wire that hold broken knee cap together
It has been 6 months since I fell and broke my knee cap into 5 pieces.  The Doctor did surgery and wired it back together.  Then 6 weeks of Physical Therapy.  I was walking almost normal, pain was minimal.  But this past week when I get up to walk I feel as though the wire has moved and the pain is more than I can bare.  I am back to walking without bending my knee.  Has anyone heard of this?
Hi there!

Well, this could be a sign of infection, inflammation, patellar dislocation, degenerative joint disease etc though there is a possibility of wire fracture as well. If the fixative is placed caudal to the central patellar axis and falls on the compression surface there is a possibility that it will bend and fail. It would be best to get this evaluated by your orthopedic surgeon. A complete evaluation may require a physical examination and imaging studies like the x-rays etc. After a cause is diagnosed, it can be managed accordingly. Meanwhile you may try some NSAIDS for pain relief and avoid stress on the joint.
Hope this helps.

Take care!