Orthopedics Community
Prolonged disorientation following surgery
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Prolonged disorientation following surgery

My 78 year old mother fell and broke her hip one week ago (on a Monday).  She had surgery late that evening, which was successful.  So far no complications in terms of infection or fluid in the lungs. She was able to stand briefly during PT four days after the surgery and was able to get into a wheel chair (assisted) six days after surgery.  The one are of concern is that she still suffers from significant postoperative disorientation. She does not recognize relatives (her son, her daughter in-law), does not know where she is or how she got here, slightly hallucinations at times.

She has no history or dimentia (dementia) - and in fact is normally sharp as a tack (before the accident).

The doctors think her disorientation is the result of the narcotics she recieved before and after the surgery, however it has now been five days since  beign given any significant pain killers (i.e. anything stronger than tylenol).  Is this normal?