Orthopedics Community
Proper footwear and posture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Proper footwear and posture

I'm a lover of warm weather and when it comes to clothing (footwear included), I consider myself to be a minimalist; a casual dresser.  

Here is a short synopsis of myself and my symptoms: I am 23, approximately 6'2-3" in height, and approximately 220-225 lbs in weight.  According to X-ray pictures, I have a slight curvature in my lumbar region which is squeezing on my discs.  I suffer from muscle tightness.  According to anatomical diagrams, my best guesses is that the tightness is of the latissimus dorsi, trapezius, gluteus maximus, and vastus lateralis muscles. Also, one of my shoulder blades protrudes further than the other. I sometimes feel tingling and numbness in my legs, as well as mild-moderate pain in my back.  I recently suffered a thoracic sprain that took a few days to heal.  I was receiving chiropractic care for a few weeks but unfortunately it became too expensive and I had to quit before I benefited from it.

My question is about certain footwear and any exercises that might help my issues.  I've been looking into Vibram Five Fingers and testimonies say that it does indeed promote healthier posture.  Also, are there any men's sandals that are specifically made to include arch support and/or to promote better posture, leg, and back muscle strength? Last but not least, what are some fairly low-intensive exercises and/or stretching regimens I can do to improve skeletal alignment and muscle strengthening?

Hi there!

Well yes, though there are orthotic foot wear and physiotherapy exercises that might help with your symptoms, it must first be determined what is actually causing your pain. Possibilities that may need to be considered include postural issues, spinal structural defects, neuro-muscular causes, injuries, inflammations, degenerations, nutrient/ micronutrient deficiencies etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!