Orthopedics Community
Proximal bicep (long head) tendon rupture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I was told by my orthopedic doctor that the long head tendon that I ruptured will result in minimal loss of strength.  Other than cosmetic appearance, there is real no need to have it re-attached.  

He said that in 8 weeks or so and with proper rest and rehab that my arm should be back to normal activity.  My main concern is being able to go back to the gym and lift weights.  I don't think my arm 'looks' that bad in the mirror.

I wanted to get a second opinion on this since I only have about 3 weeks to decide on the surgery before the tendon becomes inelastic.  Anyone?
Hello Dear,
Treatment of a ruptured long head is usually conservative. The immediate goals of treatment are the maintenance of shoulder range of motion and the reduction of inflammation and pain with the use of anti inflammatory drugs, rest, and ice. After that, strengthening exercises for the shoulder and elbow flexors can be started.

Some physicians recommend operative treatment in younger patients who require supination strength (the ability to rotate the forearm so that the palm faces up) in activities auto mechanics. Some athletes choose to have a ruptured long head surgically repaired in order to restore symmetry to the biceps muscle. The best surgical results are achieved when the repair is performed within 3 to 4 weeks of the injury. The procedure is called a tenodesis. This involves attaching the proximal tendon to the proximal humerus to restore a normal contour to the biceps belly and symmetry with the other biceps muscle.

Since you want to go back to the gym and lift weights you can consider repairing of the tendon.
Refer http://www.arthritis-treatment-and-relief.com/long-head-bicep-tendon.html
Best
I am concerned that I may have a few problems with my arm. I was diagnosed with bursitis in my right shoulder, also tendontis in my right forarm. But I am afraid that my bicep longhead might be harmed. I have shooting pain through my shoulder down to my elbow when I do any overhead lifting, such as shoulder press and incline bench press. Also my elbow region hurts when I do flat bench press. I am not a heavy lifter, so I know I don't do stupid excerises that will endanger my arm even more so. Anyways I feel pain in inner part of my form arm when I bring my arm into an arm wrestling position and I flex my bicep and formarm with my foraram touching my bicep. My hand is closed as if I were holding a hammer in my hand. Also when put my arm across my chest and rotate my palm inward with a slight raise of my shoulder I feel pain in my shoulder, mostly in the rear and it seems it shoots down my bicep, which i believe is the bicep longhead area. Also when I wash my face I feel the same pain. I hope there is someone that can hopefully lead me into the right direction. I am a personal trainer and I enjoy fitness very much. I feel I can't do what I love anymore and its very frustrating. I don't have a lot of money for an mri or regular doctor visits for treatment. I have been taking napoxren, also taking b12, fish oil, glucosamin, msm, turmeric. I have taken a complete month off from exercise, have cut my workouts in half.  I have been using heat and ice. I can't do anything more it seems to fix my problem. Please help if possible. Thank you.