Orthopedics Community
Questions about a sprained ankle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Questions about a sprained ankle

Hello, i sprained my ankle 2 weeks ago playing basketball, it was a lateral sprain and it was a grade 2. My ankle is coming on nicely - the swelling has reduced and i don't feel any pain when i am lying down. I applied RICE for the first 3 days, then i used Biofreeze gel instead of ice and didn't elevate my foot much, but in the second week i have been applying RICE again as much as possible in order to have my ankle healed as fast as it can. It's only when if i lie down for a period and when i get up again my foot feels very painful for a minute and the ankle swells a little bit more(its more like a soft swelling rather than i hard one). Is this normal or have i aggravated my injury somehow? Should i keep icing it? And should i walk on it? I used to walk about 10-15 minutes for a couple of days 5 days after the injury, but in the past 4 days i have not walked outside at all, just around the house a little and i see some improvment. I feel little pain when i walk. And if i can walk, should i use an ACE bandage when i am walking or a ankle brace? Thank you in advance!
Hi there!

It is normal to have some amount of swelling and discomfort till a few days after the initial. This is expected to get better with time as healing takes place. Weight bearing may be started gradually after the first few days. Ace bandage may be helpful for restriction of movements, which may be helpful for healing. I would suggest continuing with the RICE as well. If the pain/ discomfort is severe, you could try taking Tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS for relief. Hopefully this should get better in a few days.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!