Orthopedics Community
RIBS & Sternum fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

RIBS & Sternum fracture

In a major accident ,my ribs and sternum got broken.Can i know what should be the treatment and how much time it will take to recover from that ???

Please help me.

Sujay
Hello Dear,
Thr treatment for fractured ribs includes rest and the use of ice for pain and swelling,.Over-the-counter pain medications, including acetaminophen  and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen  help relieve discomfort.. If the pain is severe, injections around the nerves that supply the ribs ,nerve blocks can be used. Compression wraps for broken ribs  are not used as prevent taking deep breaths, which can increase the risk of lung infections like pneumonia.
Broken ribs usually heal completely in about one to two months.
Refer http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/broken-ribs/DS00939 for more details.
Best
I am Dr. Arch Miler, and am on the reconstructive surgery forum. The sternum can be repaired with a device called the talon. It is new, but very effective and stabilizes the sternum. I perform this procedure as well as Dr. Scott Levin at Duke University, North Carolina, and Dr. James Spann here in Tulsa. Please go to the web site rapidsternalclosure.com and you will see an animation of how it works.  Please call myself, Dr. Span nor Dr. Levin and we can get you either a referral to someone close to you, or schedule you to see us,and you will need a 3D CT scan of your sternum. I hope this helps you. Respectfully,

arch s miller ms md facs