Orthopedics Community
Radial Head Replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Radial Head Replacement

6826105?1302833021
In 2009 I was hit from behind on my motorcycle, I was fully geared when I high sided and landed on my out stretched right arm going approximately 30 MPH. I ended up waking away from the accident with only 1 injury, a very mangled right arm. I ended up crushing my right radial head, dislocating my shoulder blade, cracking my collar bone, breaking both bones in my wrist and requiring 2 surgeries that year including the radial head replacement and ex fix fitting and a few temporary pins in my wrist. I went through close to a year of PT and worked very hard to regain my independence however in the time I wasn’t able to function with my right hand I learned to do EVERYTHING except write with my left so I am pretty capable now. Over the last 2 months the nerve damage has become way worse and my surgeon ordered a nerve test to check the ulna nerve. It is severely compressed and damaged to the point that my surgeon who specializes in arms is calling his friend who specializes in hands only. He said with the extent of the claw hand (which was NOT present 3 months ago) and lack of grip, muscle, sensation and strength he doesn’t see many options. If he does the ulna nerve movement it could damage my nerve worse and he just doesn’t know what other options are available at this point in the severity of the hand. My question is I felt like he was hinting at amputation, has anyone ever heard of amputation of an arm or hand due to severe nerve damage/claw hand? With the PT my elbow is about 80% as good as it ever was, I even have a LOT of rotation (Something I was warned may never be functional again) so do you think they would amputate JUST the hand or the arm below the elbow? I know this might sound odd but I use a wheel chair due to a past TBI and I just want to know that they CAN fix it one way or another, even if it means amputation. I need my grip and strength to get around and right now it is very poor.  Thanks so much, sorry for typing so much!