Orthopedics Community
Radial head removal--long term effects??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

hiya all,
i injured my radial head when i was about 8  years old and got pins in to hold it together, it has only worked for so long and its not fixable now so they are just taking it out completely. i will be getting long term pt im just not too sure of the long term effects of getting this done. my GP said it is not a good idea to get this done at my age (22) i also have atheritis in the area of my elbow due to the injury. i have one person saying it might work there is a 1 in 10 chance my arm will be pain free but also might not work and it can make things worse but my GP is suggesting i dont get it done at all so im in 2 minds weather to get it done or not. i am getting pt at the moment untill surgery, my GP said that also is a bad idea as because it will make my arm more painfull due to atheritis, but my consultant said it will help, so i dont know, i am not getting a prothesis put into place, there are not replacing my radial head with anything as they dont do that where i live. so am i going to have a big hole in my arm that is noticeable??
thank you in advance
sam x