Rare knee injury-NEED advice
Hi everyone-I'm hoping someone can offer me some advice...  Back in October I ran into a corner of my bed, injuring my knee.  The main symptoms were weakness, and mainly feeling like my kneecap was popping out of place.  I saw an ortho a week later who didn't think I did any damage and told me to give it some time.  I went 2 months of not working out on it, even just standing on a straight leg made it start popping, the muscles around my knee were always sore and achy, etc...  I saw another ortho about 1 month ago who thought it was likely a chondral defect (torn cartilage behind my kneecap)-he said it was likely the torn cartilage created a flap which is what my kneecap was catching on.  I got an MRI which confirmed some kind of defect.  Last Wed, I underwent arthroscopy chondroplasty and what he found shocked him.  He found some fraying in the cartilage which he said in no way would be causing my symptoms.  what he found was the cartilage that's connected to my knee has peeled away from my kneecap in the center, and only the outer edges are still attached-he was able to push on it with the probe.  He said this is the 2nd time he has seen this happen.  Obviously he couldn't fix the problem, and he ended up taking a biopsy of the cartilage in case I decide to undergo another surgery that requires growing and injecting the cartilage cells.  He said my only 2 choices would be to 1. live with it, or 2. he could do a major surgery and inject cartilage cells into the space and hope that would make the cartilage attach itself to the kneecap again.  I am devastated to say the least....
I have set an appt in 3 weeks with the partner of one of the top orthopedic surgeons in the country, but would love to see if anyone has ever even heard of this happening.  I'm so crushed!!  Thank you for ANY advice. : )
Hi there!

A cartilage defect could occur following a trauma or a degenerative process. I would agree with the treatment options given by your treating orthopedician. If the defect is small and the symptoms are manageable, conservative management may be given a trial; while for large defects or severe symptoms, I would suggest undergoing the surgical repair. You may like to discuss the management options in detail with the orthopedician at your appointment.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!