Orthopedics Community
Recovering from shattered ankle
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Recovering from shattered ankle

I was in the rock gym on April 28th, slipped coming down, missed the bouldering pad, and shattered my ankle.  I fracture my fibula, my tibia split up the middle, and just about all the bones in my shattered.  I was in an external fix. for two weeks, followed by a surgery in which two plates, several pins, and a bone graft was inserted.  That was about a month ago. My pain has been very minimal these past few weeks but lately, my left ankle (the broken one) has felt numbness, tingling, and shooting pains. Is this normal?  Is it because I crutch a lot, and often forget to elevate my ankle?  I am just curious and want to make sure my healing process is going well.
I am 21 years old and in excellent health.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello Dear,
The fracture healing time is dependent in the type and the extent of injury.
Usually it would take about 3-6 months for healing of fracture provided there are no complications. The numbness, tingling, and shooting pains may be due to some nerve involvement or injury to some nerve.It might take some time for the nerve to heal.
All the best
Blank
1485590_tn?1287974193
Yes this is normal, i shattered my ankle in 2003 and took me the best of 6 months to walk and had a limp for about 2 years, the shooting pains should go away, just out of curiosity, did you loose leg legnth too?
Blank
I shatter my anckle I have two screws now its almost been a month now n dr said in 2 more months till I walk again iam going be able to walk the same I'm very young I'm 22 n healthy I hope I dnt walk funny do u think I will
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Orthopedics Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...