Orthopedics Community
Rehabilitation from broken hand

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Rehabilitation from broken hand

I recently got my cast removed for a boxer's fracture 3 days ago. I have feverishly been trying to rehab my finger to regain mobility ASAP, but to no avail. I cannot bend my finger at all; not a bit of improvement. I know it should be stiff, but this doesn't feel like stiffness like in past times I had a splint taken off. It feels like I am trying to bend a bone that should not be bent, like the section between the knuckles of the phelange. My finger actually straightens out when trying to make a fist, and my 1st knuckle of my phelange points upward a little. I really don't even feel or see my knuckle anymore; only the bump where the break healed. In short, it feels like my phelange has fused to my metacarpal with no knuckle between.
My question is if this is normal and will pass. Should I be worried?
Hi Ray,
How old are you?
It is called boxer's fracture if only 5th metacarpal is involved otherwise they call this as Brawler’s fracture too.
What were the findings on your previous imaging study?
What physical therapy did they advise you?
How long back were you put in cast?
I think at present you should obtain AP, lateral, and oblique plain radiographic views. A true lateral view is necessary to measure fracture angulations. Focused views on the involved metacarpal can give better detail of the fracture pattern.
I think these are necessary to ascertain the situation and see the pattern of growth.
Only X-rays would tell whether it is normal or not.
Did you consult your doctor for this?
Keep me informed.
Bye.