Rejecting screws/infection?
Hi, I had 2 screws in my knee about 5 months ago to realign my knee cap (2nd time I've had this done, first in 2006 which was apparently done wrong). Up to now I have been extremely pleased with the results as I am walking without a limp for the first time in 6 years and can do stairs normally instead of one at a time, however...... For the past month or so I've noticed a hard lump at the bottom of my scar which is around one/both screws. If you press (gently!) on the lump you can feel what seems to be the top of the screw. Now I have been getting pain in the same spot for the last few days which feels exactly like when you touch/press on a bruise but this is inside my knee and comes in really painful waves (i'm thinking like contractions but really close together). Now my knee feels like what can only be described as being full of porridge (sorry!). Could my body be rejecting the screws and could the bruise/porridge feeling be an infection?
The last time I had this op I had the screws removed almost exactly a year later because they were stuck out too far but didn't feel anything like this!
Getting a bit concerned, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hi there!

Well, in the absence of fever, redness or increased temperature around the swelling infection is an unlikely possibility. Rejection of the screw/ allergic inflammation is a possibility though less likely. More likely possibilities include cyst formation, bursitis, tendonitis, arthritis, synovitis scar formation/ contracture etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by you orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile you may try resting the knee. Tylenol/ NSAIDS may be used for pain relief.
Hope this helps.

Take care!