Orthopedics Community
Rejecting screws/infection?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Rejecting screws/infection?

Hi, I had 2 screws in my knee about 5 months ago to realign my knee cap (2nd time I've had this done, first in 2006 which was apparently done wrong). Up to now I have been extremely pleased with the results as I am walking without a limp for the first time in 6 years and can do stairs normally instead of one at a time, however...... For the past month or so I've noticed a hard lump at the bottom of my scar which is around one/both screws. If you press (gently!) on the lump you can feel what seems to be the top of the screw. Now I have been getting pain in the same spot for the last few days which feels exactly like when you touch/press on a bruise but this is inside my knee and comes in really painful waves (i'm thinking like contractions but really close together). Now my knee feels like what can only be described as being full of porridge (sorry!). Could my body be rejecting the screws and could the bruise/porridge feeling be an infection?
The last time I had this op I had the screws removed almost exactly a year later because they were stuck out too far but didn't feel anything like this!
Getting a bit concerned, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks