Orthopedics Community
Removal of metal in leg and arm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Removal of metal in leg and arm

I was in a major car accident in march 08 and broke nearly 13 bones badly.
I was on the table for 12 hours having my leg, arm, ribs, lungs, ankles and foot saved.
I am now full of metal.
I have 4 plates in my arm and  my leg with about 30 pins and screws especially in the knee and a rod from my knee to my hip.
Now my surgeon is dead set on removing them all because of the pain they cause me. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how this kind of surgery will effect me?
Mainly i'd like to know how long i'll be in hosptal and how long i'll be out of action and in pain.
My surgeon never answers these questions for me.
I really need to know how crippled up ill be!
oh and just a note..
Im getting VERY tired of having operations this will be my 6th one :(
Avatar dr m tn
Hello!

You can remove the supports which were used for fracture healing. The metals are foreign bodies and they cause problems by themselves in some individuals.

The recovery time depends on the position and the internal fixation done for different places at different bones. If there are no complications you would just need some antibiotic coverage and would recover in couple of weeks.

As every case is different discuss with your orthopedician.

Take care!