Orthopedics Community
Right hip/groin pain after a pop while sitting cross-legged

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I am a 34 year old female with fibromyalgia which I manage quite well.  It doesn't stop me from my daily life, but it does cause pain.  However, a few months ago I hurt my hip and now my physician thinks it is just fibro pain.  He referred me to a rheumatologist who also just thinks it is fibro pain, but I am not so sure.

About 6 - 8 months ago, I was sitting in bed using my laptop to do research for school (I am a nursing student).  I was sitting cross-legged ("Indian Style") and needed to reach towards the foot of the bed to grab a book.  As I was leaning forward, I sort of hyper-rotated my right hip while in the cross-legged position and it popped very loudly and hurt really bad.  It hurt for a few days but then I felt ok and just shrugged it off.

Well, since that time, the pain keeps coming and going.  It's really bizarre to me as I will have little to no pain for several days, then all of a sudden I'm in horrible pain in that hip.  It is in my groin area, inguinal, mostly and sort of follows that crease about mid-way up.

I can no longer sit cross-legged without severe pain.  If I get into that position, my hip feels like it's locking up when I try to get out.  It also hurts to sit in a recliner with my feet elevated straight out in front of me.  In general, it hurts more to sit than to walk or be active, however, after a 12 hour clinical on my feet, it sure does hurt.

Any advice for pain relief would be very much appreciated.  I have taken ibuprofen, Tylenol, aspirin all without any luck.  I've tried gently stretching it, etc, but I'm not sure it's a muscle strain.  I'm actually a bit concerned that it could be a labral tear.  Obviously I cannot diagnose myself, nor do I expect diagnosis from the internet, but I guess it boils down to this:  Could popping a hip like this while sitting cross-legged cause a hip labral tear?  

Thanks for any help.
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your issues. Injuries/ tears are likely possibilities. Others that may need to be considered are dislocation/ subluxation, inflammation, nerve compression/ impigement etc. At this stage I would suggest consulting an orthopedician initially and if no ortho related cause is found, you may consult a rheumatologist. Pain medications other than those available OTC cannot be prescribed online, you may see a primary care physician or a specialist for the same.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you Dr. Kaul, this is helpful as I was trying to figure out what it could possibly be and if tear was even possible.  I have made an appointment with my GP, but unfortunately it's several weeks out.  In the mean time, I will survive!

Thanks again for your helpful reply.