Right knee pain and tingling in foot/calf
I am a 46 year old, otherwise healthy male.  I injured my right knee (injured knee as it sharply moved laterally to the right) in 05.  I initially had pain below my knee cap and to the right of it as well as in the IT band area.  One yr later, mild, occasional tingling in bottom of right foot started but only when I “stressed” my knee (run, swim, bike etc).  From the beginning when I injured it, pain in my knee was very mild unless I exercised then it was much worse to the point of not being able to exercise at all.

In the last 4-5 months I have tingling in my right foot nearly constantly to some degree and pain/tightness in my upper right calf and behind my knee.  I also have occasional twitching in different areas of my foot, shin and calf areas.  I cannot stand on it for more than a minute or so before severe ache/pain/discomfort starts.

Over the last four years, I have seen several ortho docs/sports med surgeons and neurologists and had PT, several MRIs of the knee and one of lower back, EMGs, xrays, massage therapy, prolotherapy (just prior to symptoms getting much worse), meds, steroid injections in the knee, ice/heat, brace etc.  No test was helpful and no treatment or therapy was either.  Also, I had blood work to rule out other things like diabetes and other diseases.  MS ruled out.  In Aug of 08, I had an exploratory arthroscopy of my knee.  Doc saw nothing.  Post the scope (doc did no cutting or any repair, just “looking”) for about 3-4 months, pain was better (not sure why) and I had little in the way of tingling in foot.  Then in Dec, symptoms got much worse and have progressed greatly.

I could have two completely separate problems - 1) knee pain from injury and 2) nerve problem in lower leg.  To me though, they seem related but now the “nervy” symptoms are becoming almost unbearable.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I am desperate.  Thank you.
hello dwrob,
you have done too much of consultation, investigations as well as treatment. I am surprised as the pain relief was negligible as compared to the amount of pain you have taken to fight it.
Don't worry. i think , best way now is to forget it. What you are saying may be right also(regarding 2 seperate causes of pain). But it's overtreatment you see. and over-treatment won't help you at all. SO relax, take a time out, and restart after 2-3 weeks. Just try it and see, whether it helps you or not.
Regards.
Do keep us informed also.