Orthopedics Community
Ruptured Tendon?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Ruptured Tendon?

I injured my knee about a month ago and have either a sprained ligament or a meniscal tear but this is not the actual problem. I was treated with a cortisone shot and then started on Methylprednislone a week later. 3 days after the steroid treatment my ankle, area just below the joint, became very sore and swollen. I saw my doctor a couple days later and he said the tendon is very inflamed for some reason. He gave me pain pills and told me to treat the injured area with ice. 4 days later there has been no change. I'm wondering if I could have ruptured a tendon. I'm seeing a workman's comp doctor chosen by my employer, so I reason to doubt his diagnosis. Could the cortisone treatment have causes this type of injury?
Hi, your symptoms could be due to infective tendonits (inflammation of tendon) secondary to introduction of bacteria during cortisone injection therapy. Cortisone is an anti-inflammatory medicine and per say cannot lead to this type of injury.
Hey, Thought I'd give you an update. My ankle injury has now progressed to a flatfoot and the inability to move most of my toes. Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction or PTTD. A week later the tendon in my other foot became inflamed and has now been swollen for over two weeks. I had my one foot placed in a cast today. Neither of these injuries were related to trauma. One of the side effects of Mythelprednisolone is a tendon rupture, usually the archilles tendon. My doc is playing dumb about the whole thing, this started as a workman's comp injury so I'm limited to what help I'm getting, but I'm convinced the meds causes the injuries.
yup cortisone is BAD NEWS..  it caused permanent numbness from my knee to my foot, severe depression, and severe atrophy and further pain.  

it is no help at all and should be illegalized