SCFE and its effects years later...
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has had surgery for SCFE as a child and is now suffering from early onset arthritis and constant hip pain. I am 29 years old and has two surgeries to repair SCFE when I was 10 and 13. I was slightly overweight (not obese) as a child, which I have been told was a contributing factor. I was told to resume normal physical activity shortly after the second surgery, which I had done and continue to do. At 28, after vigorous weight training workouts, I began experiencing sharp groin and dull outer hip pain, and after finally going to see a doctor have been given a pretty crappy prognosis. The doctors seem to think that I have begun feeling the effects of arthritis and are talking eventual hip replacement as soon as 10 years from now. Is there anyone to whom this has happened? If so, how have you gone about physically making the best of it? What courses of action have you taken (cortisone, arthroscopic surgery, etc?) I just want some guidance from someone who has been through it, not a doctor telling me what "could" happen. Thanks.
I specialize in this particular problem. I am happy to take a look at your radiographs and guide you if you need help.

Dr Hosalkar
Hip Preservation Surgeon
San Diego
***@****
8585710606
Dr. Hosalkar,

My name is Jason. I had bi-lateral SCFE at age 13. Both hips were pinned in-situ. My hips never felt normal growing up, and I always had limitations with movement. I am now 38 and am pretty upset, as I just had a consult with a joint replacement specialist here in Los Angeles who said that I am not a candidate for hip resurfacing surgery due to the severe deformities of my hips. I wish to remain as active as possible throughout my life, and I worry about traditional hip replacements limiting my physical activities. Although I still have some mileage left in my hip joints (according to the surgeon), when the time comes for surgical intervention, I want to make sure I have hips that allow an active lifestyle.

Thank you,

Jason
Texasdude151:

I just saw a joint replacement specialist today here in So. Cal, and he said I don't need surgery yet and that I have some mileage left in my hip joints. I pretty much knew that, as I don't have much pain at all in my hips, but nonetheless, my x-rays don't look all that great. My right hip is severely deformed with marked joint space narrowing; my left hip looks a lot better, but it's still not great.
The main reason I went to see this doctor was to see if I was a candidate for hip resurfacing surgery, which is supposed to be superior to traditional hip replacement. Unfortunately, due to my severe hip deformities, hip resurfacing is not an option for me. And I'm bummed about it.
But hey, I can still walk, run if I need to, and be very active, so I have a lot to be happy about I guess. But the child in me wants to have normal hip joints with normal ranges of motion.
And my lower back still bothers me; I have chronic lower back stiffness and muscle pain.
imgravest:

Sorry to hear about your hip problems. These problems are no fun, huh? How are your hips doing? Are you able to continue to play football and weight-train? Can you bend your hips normally? I'm very active myself, and I lift weights about 4-5x week (I love weight-training). I also love biking and hiking, but because of my ongoing pain problems, I've laid off on a lot of the cardio activities, which makes it harder for me to get and stay lean.
Hi I'm Carlissia I'm 18 and going through the same problem left hip is so messed up I want to become a professional dancer even though the doctors said I can't I still push pass it but its emotionally draining though I do half of the stuff they do because of my hip I even had the pin removed 2 or 3 years later it didn't help though when I first started having the pain when I was younger my doctor said I just need to stretch we found out a few years later my hip bone was slipping the hold time. It's so deformed now though I just want my hip to be normal I use to cry every night but now it's a few times a month knowing I'm not a lone helps me a lot :) we'll make it through this guys
My son has his left hip done 2 years ago and since it was a "clean" slip, it was no problem.  Then last year, the right hip began to slip.  We continued to bring him into the doctor to determine when the right time to perform the right hip scfe.  In fact, we went the week before and within that week between appointments, it slipped.  The way it slipped, it rotated inward, and he will never have full internal rotation.  This past year he continued to play football, lacrosse, and weightlift.  However, as an offensive lineman, he cannot get in the proper stance and he hips and legs have a frog like appearance.  He is now 13 and we just got back from the doctor.  My son was begging for a solution for better internal rotation.  The doctor told him to leave the pins in and he could try a osteotomy but the problem is the possibility of a side effect of necrosis and then if that occurs, a total hip replacement.  We just got home and I think my son has come to the realization that he will never excel at Football like he wants to do.  I am worried about the long term emotional effects because of this issue.  I continue to blame myself everyday for not telling the doctor to go ahead and pin the right hip to prevent the second slip from occurring.  I just don't know how to talk to him about it.  It did not help that the doctor suggested that he try to throw shot put instead of football.  
My daughter who is 11 was just diagnosed today with SCFE. This all started in October and after seeing SEVERAL doctor's who continued to misdiagnose her we have arrived at today's dx. I had never heard of SCFE until today and of course I have thousands of questions, but the main question I have for all of you it how "normal" was your all's activity level after the surgery? Did you have a limp? Were your hips in alignment? How long was your recovery? Basically what's the worst case scenario?
My son has just had both hips pinned yesterday after a year of misdiagnoses, seveere slip of the right hip, and has to go back in six months for another operation to try and rotate the hip into a better position.was told it was a pulled groin muscle and he would be fine to do pe in school, which I refused to let him do.has anyone sucsessfully sued for mis diganoses.the consultent couldn't believe how bad a slip it was and has asked if he can use my sons x-rays to teach other doctors.
I am 35 yrs old now and had surgery for scfe when I was 14yrs old and then 15 on my other leg . The pain I'm experiencing is unbearable sometimes because of my job .I work for a cable company and I'm required to climb poles on a daily basis and I'm thinking now I may have to go have my hips evaluated because it feels as if my left hip has slipped again. I still have the pins in both my hips and was wondering did anyone have theirs remove and also did anyone need to have their hips repaired as an adult?
My daughter is 10 years old and had surgery in April 2013. She was diagnosed with SCFE. She had emergency surgery the following day. My family DR diagnosed her on her first appt with him. She had surgery at Children's Hospital. She just had her 12 week follow up and her Surgeon was so happy on how well she is doing. It was on her left side but the Surgeon recommended to do both sides. She is doing really good. Off the wheel chair and crutches. We also found out she has a low thyroid. Which they say is very common in SCFE patients.
I have 3 pins in my right hip (age 13) and a bone graft on the left(14). Knee pain and constant hip ache started at about 25.I'm 35 now. Some days are worse than others, but most of the time I don't realize it's hurting until someone asks about the limp. But after spending 2 years on crutches, in traction, a body cast, and wheel chair, I'm just flat out too stubborn to go back. I control pain with a daily dose of glucosemine chondroitin and Aleve. I stay active and practice yoga for flexibility. I've had two children with little complication. Just keep going
i had my right hip pinned when i was about13 pins was taken out about 16 i am now 39 years old i have noticed for the past 4 mounths i am having pain in my left hip clicking and movement ie putting socks on lifting leg up is a problem and pain trying to find out if there is a chance that my  so called good hip can dislocate to in time also most of my weight has always been put on that hip to as one leg a bit shorter than other. not sure what to do. thanks sara.x
I had SCFE and at age 13 I had both hips pinned and removed age 15. I have always lived with mild pain since then but the older I got the worse it got. In 2003 after a visit to my GP for hip pain I was referred to orthopedics and told I have early signs of arthritis and that was about it. I didn't bother asking anymore questions at the time as they seemed to just fob me off. My eldest son born in 1999 started age 10, having clicking hips so took him to the GP and was referred to ortho where I met a specialist in SCFE and similar conditions, he said my son was fine but he was interested to see me in his young adult hip clinic. I had an MRI done where he noticed labral tears on both hips and decided to operate one hip at a time. I had the right hip which was always the worst side in 2011 and the left in 2013. The consultant said there was much more damage than they had seen on the mri so i was in surgery longer than expected therefore my legs were in traction much longer on both surgeries. Since then i have been experiencing signs of osteoarthritis and sciatica and am waiting a visit back to the consultant in August. I am taking co codamol for the constant pain and sleepless nights. The benefits of the hip arthroscopy are that my hips no longer give out on me and the clicking has considerably reduced. I believe with having SCFE as a teen it does lead to possible hip replacement later in life and definitely  some sort of extra hip surgery.
Can SCFE happen again in the same hip later in life? I had it in both hips while in middle school, screws were put in both hips and then removed a year later. I have never had a problem til now but both hips have become very painful and the pain (along with my current walk) is very similar to that of the SCFE I had as a child. I was under the impression that SCFE was a one shot deal, once fixed, it would never return. Was this wrong information?
I had a clean slip of my right hip age 13, this was then pinned and the pin was removed two years later. I am now 27 and for the last year or so have been experiencing pain in the opposite left hip, pelvis and lower back. I have sciatica which also flares up from time to time. I am from the UK and the health service here at the time of surgery did not think I required physio or aftercare and so I went back to living a normal life. Now I'm in my 20s years of subconsciously bearing the extra weight on my left side has meant I am misaligned and will have to see a chiropractor for the rest of my days to avoid further pain. Taking brufen etc has no real effect and is not good for you, if anything I would encourage the younger people and parents of those affected teens to see a chiropractor and take up activities like Pilates to strengthen the muscles surrounding the hip joints which I have been told mines are as flexible as that of a 70yr old !!
My son who is now 16 was first diagnosed when a SCFE on his right hip first and almost 2 years later his left hip slipped as well. He’s now had a total of 5 hip surgeries the first 2 were due to his original slips and 2 were re-dues and in December of 2013 his surgery was for a torn labrum on his right hip. Within the last month he’s mentioned a couple of times that his left hip is beginning to hurt when he pivots or turns his body. My question to anyone; is he at a higher risk of a labrum tear in his hip due to his SCFE condition?
I constantly complained of right knee pain at 13 after a fall. My pediatrician heard the symptoms, asked me to walk across the room then told my mother to take me to the hospital for an hip X-ray and that she suspected it was SCFE. Minor slip, pinned with 1 screw. Surgeon told us at the time a hip replacement was probable in my future at some point but didn't specify when that would be most likely. I am now 24 and live with a constant dull ache from my right hip down to just above the knee. More painful than that though is when my hip randomly locks up or "clicks" and feel a sharp stabbing pain. It is an extremely tormenting pain because it can strike anytime anywhere and you never know when it's coming. SCFE has left me with a slight limp and my right foot now turns outward slightly while walking. That has led to problems in both my knee joints (already have had surgery in one knee to remove broken cartilage once) as well as back pain and pain in my non affected hip. Like everyone else here I have early onset of arthritis in SCFE hip. My ortho told me about 3 years ago that we will probably replace in my early 30's. Recently however he wants to wait as long as possible to replace it aka however long I can take the pain as it progressively gets worse. He said too many people end up having to undergo multiple hip replacements. So the plan is to wait the longest possible so I have less of a chance on having multiple replacements or by some miracle they develop better replacements. I took a cycle of steroids about 2 years ago for the pain, which helped some but only lasts for so many months. Other than that time, my resources for pain control are NSAIDs or Tylenol which have no impact on my pain. Doesn't want to prescribe anymore steroids because they lose their effectiveness each time. Instead saving them for down the road which I guess makes sense. Doesn't want to prescribe narcotics too early because of a host of potential problems, e.g. Tolerance build up, drug dependency, the need to cycle medication as tolerance builds and effectiveness drops, etc. Which again I understand the reasonings. I could try to find another doctor but honestly this would be the plan of most ortho doctors. Besides that he performed my knee surgery and we have built a doctor/patient relationship over years. If you go to a new doctor without that relationship with your complaint being in pain most are either not going to believe you or think your a drug addict . How he or other doctors expect me or any other paitent in  chronic pain to just tolerate it when it's interfering with their life negatively is terrible. Your in pain?... Stop doing certain activities/hobbies (usually all the ones you enjoy), Avoid strenuous activitys and try not to remain on your feet for long periods of time (minus well quit nursing school with its 12hr clinical shifts, followed by a lifetime of 12hr work shifts when I graduate and pick another career). You end up with no quality of life. The best one I ever heard was by my doctors intern when she told me It would help a lot and I'd feel significantly better if I lost some weight. Lol I was like… ya think? I came back some 8 months later 40 pounds lighter (was a big boy at the time) and told them that it was strange I'm still in pain after losing weight.
I truly feel bad for anyone suffering from long term effects after SCFE. I was fortunate enough that was only a minor slip. There are a lot of other people who suffer more. The long term effects of SCFE and it's correction have not been researched enough in my opinion. Until I stumbled across this I had no clue there were any others out there experiencing the same thing. I wish everyone here the best and good luck.

p.s. sorry about the lengthy rant, I might have let the rage build up
I had my hip pinned when I was 14.  My ortho told me at that time that I may experience the same pain years from now and if so, I would just need to go in and have the pins removed, since they will have already served their purpose.  Has anyone had their pins removed??
Hello; I am hoping someone can help. I am 58 yrs old. I had 3 pins put in my left hip at age 12, 4 in right at age 15. These pins were called Knowles pins, that were intended to be left in. I lived a pretty much normal life, other than range of movement. I worked very hard for 40 yrs., but now have a lot of pain in my rt. hip. The Docs. are telling me I need both replaced, but they have never dealt with these pins. I can't find a Doc. that has. I live in north central WV. Does anyone know of a good Doc. with in 100 miles? My suggestion for you young people going through this, is stay active, and eat a good natural diet
I'm currently 15 years old and I had my right hip pinned. I was told over three times that my hip was just fine.... I went a year with my hip like this. Then my mother contacted Loyola University and scheduled an appointment. When I went in they told me that I had a severe case of SCFE, my hip was so badly detached that my hip could have broken if I took two more steps. They told me that I had two choices...#1 they could pin it a little lower than where my hip was supposed to be or...#2 they could take the leg...obviously I wanted to fight for my leg so I choose to get the surgery done. They put me in the hospital that very night. I am now feeling a pain in my lower bottom area and I just wondering if that is arthritis or should I be worried. And I forgot to mention that I was 11 when I got this done.
EVERYONE WITH AFTER PAIN FROM SCFE LISTEN UP...i went to a doctor after having sharp pain and hips locking up 15 years after my surgery at age 12. it turned out that i had HUGE bone spurs on my femoral neck due to the scfe, and i required two arthroscopies to correct this. he shaved down my bone, increased my range of motion, and gave me a lot longer to live with somewhat normal hips. ask about a hip arthroscopy and get xrays! the bone spurs on the femoral head were only present in specific xrays, so make sure to research it. a hip arthroscopy did me a world of good and restored me to a better me! i went to Dr.Stansbury in Allentown PA, he specializes in hip arthroscopys.
I'm a bit freaked reading some of these comments my son got a pin in his hip just over a year ago aged 11 after diagnosis of scfe and only yesterday complained of bad pain shooting from his knee to his hip he can barely walk took him straight to hospital Sat 5 hours after getting X-Ray and ultrasound and everthing was clear and we sent home with pain relief...He's in agony right now I'm seriously considering asking them to do mri scan or something the pain has to be coming from somewhere....:(
My name is Emily and i am 19 years of age. i got diagnosed with scfe when i was 12. Had surgery that next day and i was wheel chair bound for 2 months with no walking. Since then I've had 6 other surgeries to try to fix what scfe had caused since it was so severe. One surgery included as much as having my femur bones cut in half and re positioned. I am doing a research project for my college class, its on if i want to get my next surgery which will be getting the hard wear of my leg removed, I want to do so because apparently there is a very high risk that i will need a hip replacement in the future, and right now my full femur bone and joint is filled with metal. So, before that hardens they want it out. I've been online looking at the likely hood in other people who have my issue. its really hard finding someone who understands. However you guys helped me in the fact that i now know i need to get this metal out, even though I'm emotionally exhausted from surgeries. its hard being this age and not being able to run or do the things i love but i know it all happens for a reason. Thank you for letting me know im not the only one!!!
So pleased to have found others with similar problems. My Dr will not take me seriously, I have been complaining about pain in my right hip for quite a while now. It effects my knee also. I had my right hip pinned at 13yrs old, pins removed at 16yrs old. The pain I am experiencing now is very similar to the pain I had all those years ago (41 now). I was never warned about things like arthritis but am concerned it may be the source of pain I'm living with now. Some days I can barely walk! Hope the Dr will eventually do some research into this, I will be informing him of this forum and hope it may shed some light on the subject.
I will soon be 58 years old. I had surgery on both my hips (one week apart) for SCFE in 1970 at the age of 12. Each hip was "pinned" with 3 screws, a normal procedure at that time. I spent almost a month in the hospital and then an additional couple of weeks in bed at home.That was followed by 3 months in a wheelchair and then two months on crutches. I missed 5 months of school and had to have tutor at home. My, how things have advanced! Much quicker recovery time! I have developed rather severe arthritis in both hips and suffer with moderate pain most days. I would not do anything different however, I had 35+ years with little limitation or pain and I am grateful for those years. If you are a parent facing this with a child, just be thankful that most SCFE cases result in many years of normal or near normal lives, and I am still blessed to be able to walk (though sometimes with a cane) even with arthritis. I do use a motorized cart at stores when I have to do extensive shopping, but all in all it could be a lot worse. I wish all my fellow SCFE friends all the best and keep moving!!!
my name is Jordan fluekiger and I live in Wisconsin. I have this same problem. I was 12 when I first had the first pin in(left hip). it was not bad but then a mouth later my other hip hurt then again f###k me (SURGERY)!!!!!!! now 5 mouths later I'm suffering a lot of PAIN!!!!I DO NOT NOW WHAT TO DO!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
hey, these seem to be some of the worst case scenarios. I had my left hip pinned when I was 11 and was up walking and released from the hospital the next day and the 2nd hip was pinned 6 months later as there was a 50/50  chance of it slipping out of place. I did that surgery as an outpatient and went home about an hour after the surgery. I was drowsy but went to church that evening. I was up moving around, doing light chores within 2 days. I was able to return to full physical education activities within 10 or so weeks. Now as an adult age 24, I don't have issues with either hip for the exception of flexibility, it doesn't hurt but the way my hips are pinned I am unable to do the splits ( minor issue) my scars are about 4 cm thanks to the excellent peds ortho doctor at Cedar Sini in Beveryly Hills, CA Dr. Robert Bernstein. Have your son be as active as possible post surgery as docs permit. If your son is carrying extra weight you want him to get his weight down just so that he will not become obese as an adult, extra weight puts extra weight on the joint and that can cause arthritic pain later in life. Hope this helps
Guys I'm 13 right now and I got a pin in my hip may 27 wed I'm soposed to be on crutches for 6 weeks and no sports for 3 months and I was wondering wen I'm older am I ganna have anny other pains and if my leg is Ganna be okay and if there is any ways to recover faster please and thanx
Alan.  Just found this forum so my reply is very late.  I had both my hips done 49 years ago and only recently have I started to have some problems.  I believe the reason I was practically pain-free for 49 years is that did cardio type sports (tennis, basketball, etc) and did running almost every day my entire life after the surgery.  I think the exercised kept good blood flowing to my hips and delayed the arthritis until I was 60.  Good luck.  You will do fine.
Very cool to see everyone commenting on this thread throughout the years. I've been dealing with the aftermath of the SCFE surgery going on 13 years now(in Dec.) I am a female, was 11 when I started experiencing slight out of placement in my left hip during PE. Was playin rec basketball and select softball at the time so practice all week and games every weekend. I was very active and not the slightest over weight. When my hip started "popping out of place" I told my parents but they expressed that it was just growing pains (seems to be a parental trend^^ but no blame on my parents) Any who- basketball is a major contact sport and i was an aggressive player so I fell one day on the court- couldn't go to softball practice afterwards.. the pain started to get progressively worse from that moment. maybe a couple of weeks had passed by and I was on crutches at this point and finally had a dr. appt scheduled for Monday.  Got up Sunday morning and slipped and feel on the newly mopped floor. HOLY CRAP- this has been the worst pain I have ever felt in my entire life to this day! I cried all night long, couldn't sit, couldn't lay on either side, back or front, couldn't stand everything hurt I was terrified. Went to the Dr. on Monday and they did x-rays- IMMEDIATELY sent me to Scottish Rite (Dallas) and went into surgery that day. So this was Dec 2002. They stated all of characteristics of who this could happen to and I was the complete opposite of that (overweight, young, inactive male) They checked my thyroid levels and found I had hypothyroidism (under active). I guess this was the prognosis. Never played sports the same again. I just wasn't as good and there was some sort of void. In 2008 I got the screw taken out. I don't remember why. I think the doctors  just mentioned it to me and my parents as an option and we did it. They also offered me a surgery that would re-position my hip bone to give me more length and range of motion. I was actually scheduled to get this surgery done as well but ended up cancelling at the last minute because something did not feel right. In terms of emotional and physical trials more physical than emotional for me. I move on pretty quickly from things in an emotional sense. But I was 11- when you're this young you deal with things a bit easier I think. But physically I was and still am frustrated. I've always been advised to not run- no hard impacting physical activity- my xrays look like someone took my hip bone to a cheese grater! I don't know what it feels like to be normal, but i seem to deal with it well mentally. I haven't started experiencing any of the above peoples issue with the  excruciating constant pain. I have methods of dealing with pain like sleeping with a pillow between my legs or lengthy hip stretches to get some blood flowing in there.  So, here I am at 24- nothing has changed much in way of pain or range of motion. Sex is moderately uncomfortable at times but its more or less a mental thing. I've been to physio's and they have helped me develop some range of motion in there but it has to be a consistent effort on my end if I want progress. I've also developed a slight case of scoliosis because of the over compensation of my right hip. The left side of my ribs stick out further and my left hip is about 1 inch higher than my right. I wear an insert in my left tennis shoe to help with the correction but I don't always wear my tennis shoes. I'm trying to take care of myself so I don't face long term back and spinal issues all because my doctors didn't advise me on what  to do post-surgery. I mean they didn't even suggest physical therapy or anything. I wish they would have given me a little more guidance on what to look for when I got older. I've been active all my life- in the gym off and on but never out of shape. I modify exercises and am developing my own way of exercising through experience with my physical therapists. but the main reason why I started researching forums was because i am pregnant with my first child! i'm 20 weeks along and am wondering how my labor is going to turn out. I am a big naturalist- I want to have a drug free birth. I am really anticipating the time when I start to get closer to my due date. Am I going to experience problems? Will the baby have trouble getting out because of my hips being uneven or disproportionate. Little scary to think about but I have a strong faith in the Lord so I know everything will work itself out. Have any of y'all had issues with your labors? If anyone wants to contact me they can email me as well ***@****. Would love to hear feedback on pregnancy or any other remediation for pain.
Aggie.  Just found this forum so my reply is very late.  I had both my hips done 49 years ago and only recently have I started to have some problems.  I believe the reason I was practically pain-free for 49 years is that did cardio type sports (tennis, basketball, etc) and did running almost every day my entire life after the surgery.  I think the exercised kept good blood flowing to my hips and delayed the arthritis until I was 60.  Good luck.  You will do fine.
kirbymarie at gmail is the email. Also- sorry for the lengthy post!
This thread has been a very welcome find online for me. I too had surgery at age of around 12 or 13 and I was diagnosed at the final stage when I could no longer walk anymore at school one day. Prior i had done all the drs appointments and seen many specialist and all said I was too fat and I should exercise more. I wasn't obese but was chubby. anyways the problem was bilateral and so both hips ultimately were affected. Both hips were subsequently pinned and was due to be removed at a later stage, which they (Dr's) would call me in to perform. Well they did'nt call me until I was 18, the procedure failed as the time had passed for them to attempt removal and bone had grown around the pin, so I was told. anyway I am now 39 and I have been suffering for the past 15 years or more with the severity increasing and my mobility seriously reducing. I am now in a battle to gather as much evidence to support my claim for being physically disabled. I sympathise with all the sufferers above. My pain is constant and isn't muscular its more metallic as in I can at times feel the pins and the pain is just unbearable. I use cannabis for pain management but here in UK its not recognised as a valid treatment so fund my medication personally. It's difficult being a father of 3 boys and a girl not being able to play in the yard with them, kick a ball about, ride a bike and go for walks.
I try nonetheless and just suffer the pain for a few days after.
Many thanks for this thread once again.
I had SCFE surgery at age 16.  I was always active as a kid but would chunk up a little before I would grow.  We had the 5th move of my childhood when I was almost 16.  I think the stress involved and possible injury while playing basketball could have led to my SCFE in my right hip.  This is the best message board I've found on this topic.  It seems to be an overlooked or little understood issue in the medical community.  When I first started hurting we went to a physical therapist who just warmed and cooled my hip joint in an effort to increase blood flow and mobility and gave me exercises to do.  Then after 2 weeks of that nothing improved.  I wasn't really in pain just couldn't move.  Then one morning I was walking through the house and the joint slipped completely!  I laid in bed for two days because the hospitals were all shut down for the dear hunt(we moved to a small town).  Really I think my dad thought it was something simple and not urgent.  We went to the hosptial and they sent me right up to the nearest hospital at in our states capital.  They did my surgery and acted like it was fixed and I'd be good after 6 months of being on crutches.  I had very limited mobility after surgery.  I also was very uncomfortable sitting on my butt.  It sucked.  Then I went on a mission for my church and was riding bikes a lot and it seemed to help because I was so active all the time though the tightness I experience to this day makes it hard to sit for long periods of time.  I played most sports I wanted well into my 20's but gave those up around the time I turned 27 in effort to save my joint as the hip has developed Arthritis and I want to be able to hold off a hip replacement as long as possible! I am now 31 and trying to do what I can to improve my range of motion.  I noticed someone mentioned they had arthroscopic surgery to remove bone spurs which helped increase their range of motion.  Is there an update on that? I would like to know if others have had success with arthroscopic surgery.  I know this will be a battle the rest of my life.  I wish the doctor had recommended physical therapy after the surgery because I've been told by many docs that it might have helped restore my range of motion.  My muscles in my right leg usually hurt when I do lunges or try to touch my toes.  It's weird sometimes like a shock running up my leg if I do a lunge.  I'm not sure how to fix this.  Docs seem to be clueless about how to help.  I have noticed this has begun to impact my lower back.  I don't get why my range of motion is so limited is it just because the shape of my femur has been warped over time? Just to talk to someone about this would be therapeutic.  Everyone else seems to act like it's no big deal because I can walk but I can't even do a normal squat.  For someone who once loved sports this *****.  Any comments or ideas on how to increase range of motion or even some ideas on exercises to increase range of motion? I would love to sit indian style again or at least not grunt when trying to tie my shoes!
Hi, I can feel your frustration as if it was my own. I'm 53 now and had both hips pinned ay 12 even though one was unaffected. I was told the unaffected one may slip later that's why that did it. I was sport mad, underweight if anything. I really struggle with the affected left hip now, range of movement is poor, constant pain even overnight occasionally. To sit cross legged now is a pipe dream !. I have my own business and try to be as active during work & leisure as is possible but I really am limited. I am always massaging the hip/lower back area throughout the day as it helps but not for long. I regularly stretch but because of my poor range of left hip movement can't do the strengthening exercises recommended correctly to improve. I think I suffer from mild depression because of all this, although I have not been diagnosed with it & I try my best not to let on I am in constant pain. Osteoarthritis has now also set in and my hip can give way on occasion. I have today (14/01/2016) booked a GP appt as I am a very fit chap & feel my life is suffering. I do not wish to down play anybody with a more serious & debilitating condition but having had pain for almost the last 20 years feel I am entitled to share my experience of this condition.
Paul (UK)
You don't know how similar my issues are to yours it's uncanny because you could be writing that on my behalf.
I had SCFE on my left hip at age 13 but both hips were operated on at the same time. The specialists reasoning was that the right hip might slip later so doing both was recommended and considered the norm.
I was not overweight, slightly under if anything and was sports mad. Anything the school offered cricket, rugby, football, basketball I would be there.
Now I struggle to walk a normal gait without some sort of discomfort.
I am now 53, have run my own business for the last 30 years but am not able to enjoy sport to the level I would like. We went water skiing last summer with some friends, I had two attempts at getting upright but fell, each time I struggled after falling in, to put the skis back on in the water because I could not lift my left leg near enough to me to get it attached. Its like shoelace tying its such a huge effort & very very uncomfortable, I actually start to sweat !
My day is full of covert massage to my left hip/ lower back as this alleviates for short periods of time the constant nag nag pain I get.
I've seen doc today & hip replacement next step. Not overly excited at the outcome post-op to be honest. I feel my muscles around left hip area to not be anywhere as strong as the right side, trouble when bending, picking up anything from shoes litter etc the bias is to go over the stronger hip rendering the weaker side even weaker through lack of muscle use.
I also think I have mild depression, not diagnosed but I do get quite down with this  every day. I dont show it however !
For anyone suffering a far worse illness and far more debilitating I do not consider I am trivialising your suffering. I only wanted to make my experiences of this condition apparent to others. Hope this has enlightened you. Paul from the UK .
I am 29 , nearly 30. I had both hips pinned at the age of 11 and 12. It was the left hip that was bad. They done the right as said it could also slip. I hated school always felt left out because I couldn't take part in sport, could sit on the floor and cross my legs, having to leave school early to attend hospital.  Hated the scars on me. From the time this started until now I have struggled. The left hip is ruined had an X-ray in the summer as I was waking up in the night and could not move the left hip had "locked" I literally could not move for 10-30 mins. I had surgery in August 2015 on the left hip because the hip is deformed and the cartilage was badly torn, they said they want to try and keep my hip for as long as possible because of my age. I have tried to go to the gym and do something I enjoy but it's a struggle can hardly move the left leg it doesn't move far and is painful. Yes people have far worst things going on but this is something that has been apart of my life for nearly 20 years and it has effected me physically, emotionally and mentally. R
My daughter hips was pinned n now she is in a lot of pain am so worried I look it up on the net but dont get any main reason that could cause it.and someone give me some more info on it please
hi jason

my name is yanni i am 16 years old and also have a Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis, im doing my research project for school on the mental social and physical affects the injury can have on someone, if its fine with you id love to contact you to ask a few questions, this would help towards my sources, thankyou
I'm 26, never had my hip pinned as they said it had already started fusing. I'm pretty much ok most of the time but do get the stiffness & pain & sometimes can notice my limp. Obviously have very limited rotation & can't cross legs etc but this comes with the condition so all good. I do however get a lot of loud clicking/stiffness in the 'good side' of my hip possibly due to it having to overcompensate.

Now I'm noticing complete numbness in part of my foot down the affected side of my hip - wondering if anyone else has this? Thanks
Hi just read you're article on you're hips bein pinned.my daughter had hers pinned five months ago.She's gettin around . On a Zimmer frame as she don't like the crutches how long is . It before she will walk UN aided
I am 58 this year. I too had both my hips pinned when I was 12, One was because the surgeon explained it was likely to happen to my other hip. Two years later I had the pins removed. Throughout that time and sometime after the last operation I was not allowed to do PE at school. I think it has made me not as fit as I should be, nowadays this would not be the case.
I felt really good after the operations once up on my feet again and have had many good years that nobody would ever guess I had ever had hip problems if they did not see my scars. The scars were for me as a young girl quite a problem, I was very self concious and went from loving swimming to never going. I'd never sit on a beach in a swimsuit either, I notice the scars from people having this op over 40 years later are so much better. These days I dont care so much about it. Also Like somone else says I could not sit cross legged and there were some restrictions where I did not have the flexibility of others but I could hide it in most situations by doing things a different way. I had babies no problem.
It is in later years I now have arthritis in my knees, I have good and bad days, it is also slightly in my hips, they get fixed in bed at times, but my knees are the worse. I am told I am too young for a knee replacement and from what I see of friends who have had knee replacements not many are that successful. I am overweight and feel lack of exercise in my youth has not helped with managing it and if I could get more willpower going I'm sure losing weight would help the arthritis.
To look at me you would see I am overweight but on the days my knee pain is at bay nobody would know I had any other problems.
If I can help anyone please ask.
is there a facebook page to stay connected with people whom have similar issues as I do??
For the parents: the advice I was given at age 20 was to stay active, but to listen to my body. And that is what I did. I'm now 39 and have had issues off-an-on, but the activity has pushed the symptoms out longer, says an orthopod a few years back.

I had my left hip pinned at 12 and the pins removed at 13 due to a SCFE. I came on this site as I've had various orthopedic issues over the years and I know it all relates back to the hip. My hip is degenerating and I will get arthritis and a new hip eventually, I've come to terms with that. But I stay active, until I have an issue. Most recently, my lower back went out on me. And all I was doing was reaching for something on the floor. Frustrating!  I'm going to a consult next week with a new orthopod, as it seems my issues have been increasing the past two years (the kickboxing I do has nothing to do with that, I'm sure!). But it is helpful to read others's stories.

And to the kids.....you'll get through this. You will be limited in activity. But once you're cleared, stay active. And one thing I wished I'd done more of early on was YOGA. My range of motion is fine for having the issue, but it isn't where I want it. And as you get older, trying to get more flexible in the hips gets harder. STRETCH to go along with your activities.

Take care eveyone.....JP
I am now 30 years old. However, I had my hips pinned 1 year apart when I was 10 and 11.

All I can say is that I now have advanced osteoarthritis in my left hip and mild in my right. The knee pain is excruciating. I suffer every day and my quality of life is zero. I am extremely depressed and many surgeons have turned me away because I am too young for a THR.

I have an appointment with another surgeon on July 20th and I am scared he will also say no. They truly don't do enough research on the effects of SCFE later on in life. Pediatric orthopedic surgeons fix up the kids and then forget about them. As adults we struggle to find a surgeon who will help us. It is a true nightmare. :(
I know your struggles all too well and I'm sorry you're going through this as well. I've had a THR at age 30, then 2 more all in a period of 2 years. My first THR broke during a seizure and my second came loose. I'm now 42 and suffer daily from pain in numerous joints and now having severe back trouble from years of limping. I'd like to know how you are doing now and "compare notes".
I had my left hip pinned when I was 12, they said the chance of the other one going was 70% but it looked good so we just did the one. One leg is now slightly taller than the other, so I have a slight limp, its barely noticeable. Im 23 now, every now and again I will get sharp pains or aching but nothing too bad. As of recently, my hip cracks or clicks with sharp pain but only for a moment. I was told when I got the pin that I could be a candidate for a hip replacement in the future.
Strange the original question was asked in 2008 & Sturge (above) & I are online for the same issue.

I had my surgery on my left hip 23 years ago aged 13. Late diagnosis, so my hip had slipped to quite a degree. Problem sorted, still have had pain, left leg slightly shorter (so a minor limp). My biggest regret was a slight loss in mobility, awkward running & unable to ride a bike (hip turns my leg outward when lifting knee up - very painful & really miss cycling).

23 years on, I can walk (joy!). But hip mobility seems worse, the shorter leg limp has contributed to awful back pain & my damn hip clicks like a mutha. These issues may well be contributed to carrying one too many pounds but I'm considering getting an assessment. Some sort of yoga might be on the cards & physio.

Overall, it's really interesting to hear similar stories. I thought I was the only burgeoning cripple (friends don't understand) but there are some shocking stories out there, so it ain't so bad.
I had SCFE in 1969 and had my left hip pinned. While the surgery was largely successful I was left with a leg  that rotated outwards and with one leg shorter than the other.  At the age of 28 I started to experience severe pain in my hip again and was diagnosed with arthritis with bone rubbing on bone. My  orthopaedic surgeon recommended my best course of action would be a femoral osteotomy . I  subsequently had this surgery and have had 30 pain free years. I ran, did Zumba, Body Jam, Body Combat and played tennis . Only in the past couple of months have I started getting pain in my hip again and look like having a hip replacement.
I too was diagnosed with SCFE in 1991. I had my left hip pinned 25 years ago when I was 12 years old.  As of a few weeks ago, about 6 weeks to be exact, I had a hip resurfacing done.  I had a lot of arthritis and had on and off pain for the last few years.  I begin to develop a more noticeable limp before the hip resurfacing surgery.  I am still waiting to see how my recovery goes.  It is okay so far but I have experienced some numbness in a portion of my operated leg.  It is slowly going away.  Hopefully all will be well after more time passes.
I had bilateral SCFE surgeries as well. Go see a physical therapist! The can help with sacral alignment, walking gate and muscle balance which can all reduce symptoms of arthritis and keep your hip healthy longer. Cortisone is great but you should definitely do it in random with other rehabilitation. If you typically run, bike instead. If you like to play soccer, switch to water polo, look for thinks that are low impact. Some bizarre but totally true nutrition tips: make your own chicken soup once a month and literally boil the chicken, bones and all. It's a delicious way to get the amino acids and fatty acids you need to support joint health. Also, try taking a glucosamine tablet and an antionflamatory every day. Switching to a low inflammation diet (they do exist and do work) can also help! GET A FOOD ALLERGY PANEL! I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knees at age 21.... as it turns out I'm just allergic to night shade plants.
I was diagnosed with SCFE when I was 12 years old and was in emergency surgery 2 days later, I was highly active and a little over weight. The doctor told me I needed crutches for 7 weeks and no physical activity for 3 months after having both hips pinned but after that I was straight back to normal. I am now 22 and since then I have played regular rugby, tennis, squash and now I have been boxing for 2 years which involves running 6km 4 times a week aswell as plenty of leg workouts during the week. Ive personally never had an issue apart from flexibility, I make sure to stretch my hips and legs out after every workout and keep a healthy diet so Im not carrying unnecessary weight and Im problem free for now. No pain or aches  ( my hips used to click but since being very active with boxing there is no issue) only a little stiffness if I dont stretch properly but my life has been uneffected to date,I am still young and 10 years time will be the real test but Ill worry about that then. If you or your child is worried about  the repercussions of the surgery, dont be. Listen too your body, do what you can do and don't let it hold you back.
My SCFE started with severe groin pain in my right hip when I was 10. A few days short of my 11th birthday I was leaning to sit on the couch and my hip slipped. It was quite severe and I couldn't move, the EMTs could barely get me on a backboard. Two days later I had my hip pinned and 3 months later they pinned the left side because I had started limping on it. I have one pin in each hip. I often had mild pain in middle and high school but OTC pain relievers worked fine. When I was 20 and got pregnant I developed severe back pain in my lumbar spine. I had to have a C-section bc of my hips and they couldn't get the epidural into my spine so they put me under with general anesthesia. After having the baby, my lower back pain grew more severe with each passing year until I had to drop out of college at 22 and quit working at 23. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and spinal stenosis in my L4, L5 and S1 with arthritis and arthritis in my sacroiliac joint. I also developed nerve pain that shoots down my legs to my knees and ankles. I ended up being awarded permanent disability by social security when I turned 24. There's not much they can do to treat it unless I agree to spinal fusion surgery, steroid injections, etc but those don't necessarily help with pain. I'm 28 and have no quality of life. Doctors say that the way my back/hips compensated for my SCFE caused all of the problems I have now. I can walk unassisted but it's often painful to walk for more than 20 minutes without sitting. Sitting up is also extremely painful and I get the most relief from laying on my right side. I'm glad to see most of you haven't had nearly as bad of outcomes as I have. I should also mention I have psoriasis, but not psoriatic arthritis as well as some other unknown autoimmune disease. I feel like a walking disaster.
If anyone would like to email me or contact me, even if it's years after I post this, please feel free! Chrissy.tigress at Gmail *******. (They block email addresses from showing in their regular format). Just put "Fellow SCFE" in the subject line. ☺