Orthopedics Community
SCFE and its effects years later...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

SCFE and its effects years later...

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has had surgery for SCFE as a child and is now suffering from early onset arthritis and constant hip pain. I am 29 years old and has two surgeries to repair SCFE when I was 10 and 13. I was slightly overweight (not obese) as a child, which I have been told was a contributing factor. I was told to resume normal physical activity shortly after the second surgery, which I had done and continue to do. At 28, after vigorous weight training workouts, I began experiencing sharp groin and dull outer hip pain, and after finally going to see a doctor have been given a pretty crappy prognosis. The doctors seem to think that I have begun feeling the effects of arthritis and are talking eventual hip replacement as soon as 10 years from now. Is there anyone to whom this has happened? If so, how have you gone about physically making the best of it? What courses of action have you taken (cortisone, arthroscopic surgery, etc?) I just want some guidance from someone who has been through it, not a doctor telling me what "could" happen. Thanks.
Hi Bethany,

My name is Jason. I can definitely relate to your struggles with the after-effects of a slipped capital  femoral epiphysis. I had both of my hips pinned when I was thirteen years old. My right hip was a more severe slip; my left hip was a mild slip. However, my right leg has been a constant source of ongoing trouble for me - pain, stiffness, achiness, etc - for years. I am 34-years old now, and for the past 4 years I have had a lot of trouble with my right leg and hip. Most of the pain that I experience seems to be muscle-related pain - my actual hip joint rarely hurts. But my right leg is a little bit shorter than the left leg, and the muscles in my right thigh are smaller and somewhat atrophied compared to the muscles in m left leg. My x-rays show some early osteoarthritis in my right hip, and my right hip is pretty deformed and flattened out on top.

I struggle to remain active. I too enjoy working out - weight lifting, hiking, cycling, etc - but it can be pretty difficult to do on some days. My range of motion is restricted, and I experience a lot of pain and stiffness in my lower back(again, rarely do I have pain in my hip)...This scfe problem has been tough to deal with since I was a kid, and psychologically it has had a huge impact on me.....

I have never had any corrective surgery for this other than the hip pinning at age 13. But certain types of surgery - osteotomy, hip resurfacing, hip replacement - are definitely a consideration......I lay awake at night dreaming of how great it would be to have a normal set of hips!

Feel free to contact me......***@****

Jason
Thanks for your comment. It's good (well not "good" ah, you know what I mean!) to know that there are others who have the same issues. After the second SCFE surgery the doctors talked like I would never ever have any trouble with my leg again, like it was a miracle surgery. Turns out, the pain that I was beginning to think was a possible bout of Munchausen's Syndrome was finally, after six months, diagnosed as a labral tear. I was seriously begining to think I was nuts! Good luck with everything, and thank you for getting back to me. This is definitely not the easiest thing in the world to deal with, especially getting older and having it rear its ugly head again. :-)

My name is Terrisa and I had a pin put in my hip because of SCFE aprox. 12 years ago. I was 15 when I had it put in and I'm now 27 years old. When I had it done I was limping and having sharp hip pain (I know you know what I mean.....it sucked!) and after going to several incompetent doctors that simply told me to take some f!@@ing Motrin, I finally found a good doctor that diagnosed the problem properly and I was pinned the next day.

I've been able to run, workout, hell....I even do competitive ballroom dancing..........NO PROBLEMS! Until, a few moths ago I started having knee pain, and now I'm starting to have the same pain that I had before I even had the f!@#ing pin put in!!!! I knew arthritis was coming, but, God......please not this soon! No more limping, no more limited range of motion, no more pain, and please ....... no more surgery!! Having that pin put in my hip was a nightmare and to see this problem rearing its f&$@ing ugly head again is causing emotional and psychological problems all over again!

Is it just me, or is it too soon the have these problems? I was told that I would be good for at least 20 years before I started having problems with arthritis and what not! I know there are people out there with far more severe medical problems, but this really sux and I'd like to hear from any others with this problem/situation.

Thank you.....
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The most common treatment of SCFE is called "in-situ fixation." With this treatment, the bone is held in place with a single central screw.
You have to understand that you have a slipped capital femoral epiphysis earlier for which you were fixed with a pin. The diagnosis was difficult as you faced the problem yourself. Now with the present complication you have to visit a good orthopaedician and discuss the pros and cons and go for treatment.
You should not bear weight on the affected leg until SCFE has been ruled out or treated. Take intermittent anti inflammatory drugs and take care!
I am now 30 and noticed the pain when I was 28. If the pain continues, get yourself to a good orthopedic surgeon and AT LEAST ask for an MRI arthrogram. I had a HUGE tear in my labrum, an impingement, and synovitis that needed to be fixed arthroscopically, and the arthritis was present, all as a direct result of the SCFE. Rehab after surgery is 6 months, and a surgeon who specializes in hip arthroscopy is hard to find but they do exist.
I also thought I would make it to at least 40 with no problems; a lot of people with this issue do, but nope, not me. I am now 6 months post-op and though not back to where I was 3 years ago, I'm able to run (though advised not to) about a mile without stopping due to pain. If you do have a torn labrum, prepare for a long road ahead. The worst part is the weight gain, but 2 months on crutches sucked also.  

Best of luck to you!
Oh my gosh, you guys are scarring me!  My 11 year old son just had surgery last Tuesday for a unstable SCFE.  He is doing really good now, still on crutches and wheelchair, we have a follow up today.  But after reading all you stories, I hope it does not happen to him.  Was there anyone else that had both hips done?  My son just had his right and they xrayed his left while he was under, but the dr. said it looked good right now!  Man, this is a serious thing!  Hope everyone is doing ok.  
4/27/10

My name is austin and i had a scfe which started with constant pain in my knee and rose to my groin and outer hip. The doctor says i will not be able to run for 4 to 5 years. I was hoping there was someone else outer like my self i also have a heart condition. I have a pacemaker which keeps my heart on a regular pace. anyway this hip thing is not a joke at all hope you will get better
We live in Barbados and my 14 year old son had his right hip pinned last week.  He is not overweight at all, in fact slightly unerweight but he a fall in Feb 2009 when the basketball hoop he was swinging from broke.  He could not walk and was taken for xrays which showed no fracture or dislocation.  Since then, he has had an on and off limp for over a year now, always after football.  At first I thought he was faking to stay home from school and did not relate this to the fall since the xrays were clear so I stopped him from playing football and the limp went away.  

In Feb 2010 the limp came back and he also had stomach pains.  He had an ultrasound done and was diagnosed with appendicitis but I asked for a 2nd opinion as he did not have a fever or vomitting.  Then he was diagnosed with IBS and we modified his diet but the stomach pain got worse and the limp came back.  He was sent for a CAT scan which showed mild fluid in his pelvis and possible bone tumor.  Also lesions on the right iliac wing.  An xray ruled out the tumor but confirmed the lesions.  Went to an orthopedic doctor who sent him for a bone scan.  This confirmed no tumor but possible previous fracture in the pelvis.  The limp got worse and he had to use crutches so he was sent for an MRI which only showed the above findings and he was referred to Sick Kids in Toronto.  

While we were waiting for an appointment at Sick Kids we took him to a Chinese acupuncturist in downtown Toronto who stretched him, pulled, pushed, tugged, shoved and when he was done, my son was able to walk the next day without any limp, but only for short distances.

We finally got through with Sick Kids and there he was first diagnosed with a muscle pull and they recommended physical therapy but I insisted he be seen by the orthopedic department, Orthopedics diagnosed a possible PRE SCFE and recommended the pinning of the right hip to prevent the SCFE.  They explained that the slip had not occurred, that this was a preventative surgery and that it may or may not stop the limping.  

We opted to do the surgery because we could not risk the slip occurring and this was done in Barbados last week.  The orthopedic doctor here said my son did not need to use cructhes after the surgery but we still gave him a pair to use and on day 2 he was fine and was able to walk without them.  On day three after going for his first post op check up, my son started back limping and 4 days after the surgery it is so bad he has to use crutches once again.

Now the doctor has referred him to a GI specialist to be tested for Crohn's disease.  Can any doctor on this site help me figure out why my son is limping?  I have scanned all of his results and reports and have them on file if needed.
I fell in a grocery when I was 11 years on sugar that had been spilled in the aisle and the next morning I could not walk, so my mother took me to the hospital and told us that I needed surgery right away to place pins in my hip because my femoral was slipping and then 6 months after the surgery I had to have the other hip pinned. Now that I'm 30years old the effect from the condition has really brought emotional distress in my life. I have limited motion and I walk with a ugly limp which affects my sex life, which leads to unsuccessful relationship because I'm restricted to one sexual position, and I guess out of all the men I've dated I just haven't found the one that really loves me for me regardless of my condition, however I was able to create a child but I couldn't deliver him the vaginal. I have seen at least 6 orthopedic doctors and out of the 6 only one told me that he would do the hip replacement, but he couldn't guarantee me that the limp will go away nor regaining 100% full motion, so I'm thinking whats the point in having it done and I prayed to God to give me a answer, so I had the surgery arranged, but I ended up being pregnant the day before the surgery so I wasn't able to go through with it, which was the answer from God that it wouldn't have been a good idea.  The other doctors said that I need to wait until I'm 45 years old unless I have severe pain and my hips don't really hurt much. I just want to be able to play with my son and live a normal happy life so that he will not be teased once he starts school because of the way I walk.

Does anyone have any suggestions or any doctors that they can referred me?
when i was about 9 i was diagnosed with perthes disease, im 24 now and have been having pain in my hip and knee, i went to the doctor then went for xrays and they said that the problem with my hip was probably due to previous scfe but i never had any surgery as they thought i had something different. they just gave me paracetemols, but now im worried as scfe sounds really serious. should i be worried ?
My 13 year old son was diagnosed and treated for a scfe on his right hip about four months ago.  Surgery went well and after two months on crutches had a full month of no pain and was able to run, play baseball, football and basketball, etc. all without pain or limping.  Two weeks ago his good hip (left hip) started hurting and got to the point where he was on the couch and not able to move without extreme pain. We went for xrays and was told that they showed osteoporsis of the physis, which indicates a pre-slip.  i am confused as to why the surgeon won't go ahead and pin the left hip.  Does anyone have any comments as to why?
"take nsaids" ugh! Horrific advise for your liver!!! Consider chiropractic care! Keeping everything in alignment with help tremendously now, and 20 years from now! Keeping the hips, knees & pelvis in proper alignment will slow down the degenerative process because you are in balance (just like the tires on your car). Chiropractors can also address the surrounding musculature, which too, is probably a pain generator. So, save your liver & see a chiropractor!
I had my hip "pinned" with 4 3.5 inch screws when I was 11.  After weeks of pain, getting a diagnosis was a relief, but now, 27 year later, I have been living with chronic pain.  If another doctor tells me to "just take some motrin" or "how bout a cortizone shot" I'm going to B***H lick them!  After x-rays, I went to see a orthopedic surgeon to see about getting my femur straightened out (7 years ago).  I was told I wasn't a good candidate for hip replacement (which I do not want) because my cartilage is really good.  He seemed to think a cortizone injection would fix everything.  It hurt like hell, but did NOTHING to ease the constant chronic ache in my hip and groin.
Now I'm developing knee problems.  Due to the birthing of several babies (all beautiful and totally cute) I'm back trying to find someone to fix my femur.  Any suggestions?  It seems that most of the pain I am experiencing is muscular.  I keep getting tendinitis in my inner thigh area, my shorter leg is constantly throwing my back out of aligment - chiropractic care is great, but I can't live in her office, so anyone with some advice, please share.  I'm fed up with hurting all the time.

After 2 years of trying to figure out what was wrong with me, I was finally diagnosed with SCFE and I had my left hip done when I was 16.  My left leg is 3/4 inch shorter than the right.  I am now 41.  Very active post surgery until the last few months.  The left hip and lower back are getting very stiff.  MRI shows three herniated discs in back.  The PT guys says a hip replacement may be needed.  I have spent the last 3 weeks trying to find data on long term effects in patients.  Does anyone have suggestions and/or know of any experts in the field that deal with longer term issues?  

As for those just now being diagnosed, the surgery will defintitely help.  Be prepared for leg length discrepency, as this seems to be somewhat common.
My history with SCFE: I am 23 now and 14 years ago I had a very unstable SCFE of my left hip, not only did it slip but I was walking down there stairs as it happened which obviously made it much worse. So in Apr of 1997 I had a pin put in my left hip at the age of 9. May of 1997 I had a pin put in my right hip, I was lucky enough for them to have caught that one. In Jul of 1998 they removed the pin in my left hip and over the course of that year they found that I had developed avascular necrosis (loss of blood supply to the joint) as well as early stages of arthritis. October of 1998 they did a triple osteotomy on my left hip and removed the pin in my right hip.

Now my doctor, even being the best for miles, was kind of contradictory. They have been trying to replace my hip since I was 10, yet he told me even without I would lead a normal life with normal hip function. 14 years later, I can not reach my left foot, I can not see the left side of my leg, I have pretty bad back pain as well as knee pain.

I'm also getting scared because I have begun to experience pain in my "good leg" and I know that in a few years I will need to have surgery on it because lets face it - it's inevitable. The condition of my left hip however is in NO condition to support me during recovery so over the past few months I have changed my diet, started working out, and have been slowly increasing the stress added to my left leg (walking longer and longer distances, range of motion exercises, even very low weight lifting with it) I went for my first run today, can't really move now but it felt great.

So in my opinion the best way to overcome SCFE is really to just stay in shape, keep it moving EVEN when it hurts. If anyone wants to contact me about it (I know it's hard to find support for this condition) my email is thelastescapeplan at gmail
Just found this thread, I'm 20, limped for a month with groin pain aged 11, then mum took me to the GP, who told me I pulled a muscle in my thigh, gave me muscle relaxant drugs which did nothing, mum didn't like the GPs advice so she took me to an orthopedic doctor, lots of x-rays later said my hip was pre-slip stage (SCFE),  put me on crutches for 4 months hoping it would go away, pain went, came off crutches, 2 weeks later pain returned, orthopedic surgeon decided it was mild slip, operation the next day, 6 inch pin inserted in hip, 2 more months on crutches, 6 months off sport, no pain for 8 years no problems with hip except for limited internal rotation which doesn't affect day to day activities much. 8 years on, and now my hip aches when I've been standing up all day, however it only aches at the end of the day, not while I'm standing up. So I guess its ok, just hope it doesn't get any worse.  :)
It's been almost three years since I posted this question and I am still following it to see what everyone else is dealing with. Most of your situations are very similar to mine, and for that I am sorry. As you can see from my last post, I had the arthroscopic surgery in June of 2009, just about 2 years ago. It worked really well - for about 1.5 years. Not worth the money for me.

I have been in excruciating pain for the last few months now, with a loud SNAP every time I am improperly positioned. Painful AND embarrassing. To the person who recommended going to a chiropractor: Do you actually HAVE SCFE/hip arthritis? Or are you a chiropractor hawking your wares (my guess)? Because it doesn't work. I don't care how "aligned" you are, if the cartilage on the inside of your hip is shredded like coleslaw, you ain't gonna feel better for very long after someone pokes around with your back/legs. Actually, after I went to a chiro out of desperation it ended up making my pain WORSE. My primary care doc even told me it was a bad move and would have stopped me if I had told her I was going. No doubt it works for many, just not for those of us whose hips are FUBAR. A physical therapist, however, can help immensely.

I am being treated now with a combo of PT and meds (and a 40+ lb weight loss), and while they help give me my life back, I hope that there are other options on the horizon for people like us!
Further update on my son (family from Barbados):

The hip pinning did not help my son's limp.  Nor did any of the other specialists were able to get my son off the crutches - not the neurosurgeon who did a nerve conductor test and an MRI of the spine, nor the rheumatologist who tested him for juvenile arthritis and other auto immune diseases.

In frustration I went to a homeopath who said there was a lot of inflammation in his body esp in his right leg.  He put my son on homeopathic meds and did a laser light treatment twice weekly and told me it would take 2 months but I would see a difference in 1 month.  I was skeptical but did not know where else to turn.  At the end of 3 weeks my son was able to walk short distances without crutches.  By 6 weeks he was off crutches completely.  The doctor also recommended my son stay off wheat as he was gluten intolerant and this seem to help.  

My son is now almost 16 and once in awhile his leg starts to hurt.  Usually if he indulges in foods with wheat.  I now regret that we did the hip pinning - I do not think it was necessary at all and dread to think what symptoms he will have as a result of his surgery later on in the future.  If only I had gone to the homeopath first.

SCFE diagnosed and 3 pins placed at age 10, then removed at age 13.  After the initial recovery, no restrictions.  Very subtle arthritis on xrays a few years ago.  Now, I am 38 and having mild pain in certain hip positions, but mostly have dealt with repeated ankle sprains, an ankle fracture, spanned knee, and sciatic pain on the same side...over the past several years.

All in all, I am terribly grateful that they pinned me back together back then.  Without my amazing surgeon, my hip (and anyone with a SCFE) would be much worse, restricted, limp-causing, or even deformed...as it is for patients in other countries without access to Orthopedic Surgery.  I can deal with whatever degeneration comes my way.  I work to keep flexible by training in martial arts, cycling, and stretching.

As for that chiropractor ad by "docnanci":  NSAIDs do not damage your liver.  They cause GI upset or even ulcer in some, as well as kidney compromise...but not liver damage.

SCFE diagnosed and 3 pins placed at age 10, then removed at age 13.  After the initial recovery, no restrictions.  Very subtle arthritis on xrays a few years ago.  Now, I am 38 and having mild pain in certain hip positions, but mostly have dealt with repeated ankle sprains, an ankle fracture, sprained knee, and sciatic pain on the same side...over the past several years.

-getting by, post-SCFE...
Good day guys, my name is Desireé - after reading all these comments I'm definately feeling it now. My son had his right hip pinned because of scfe in March 2011, five months down the line I honestly dont think that he'll be "normal" again because his hip looks totally deformed, with the limp and the 'frog-leg' that is coupled with this condition. He is completely stiff and complain of pain in his hip or knee at times.  I'd like to know whether the limp will go away and if mobility will get better, if there's anyone out there...
I am actually in the hospital right now with my 12 year old son, waiting for them to take him to surgery.  Wow!  These comments have really scared me about this surgery. They are actually doing more extensive surgery and re-positioning the hip to the correct position other than just pinning it.  They are also going to pin the other side for stability.  He actually hurt his hip about a year and a half ago playing football and the doctors kept telling me the limp was from groin pains.  He was playing soccer over the weekend and fell down on his left hip causing it to slip completely off the growth plate.  I guess every case is different, so I am just praying that God will give the doctors wisdom to make the necessary decisions when they begin to operate on him.  
I had 3 pins put in one hip when i was 11 and 2 in the other when i was 13. they removed the ones from the left side but left one in right side for some reason anyway 11 years later i am in so much pain finally been diagoned with fai and having an operation next week to smooth hip over. surgeon said he will need to remove the pin before he can do the other operation and that it shouldnt have been left in, anyone had pins removed after they been in ten years plus? going to be a big operation plus smoothing hip over.
I'm gonna have to go through the surgery and was wondering how long it hurts afterwords
I had 3 pins put in my left hip when i was 10 they tried to remove them when i was 12 and they werent able to get them out. I went years without having problems other than my leg is not straight by any means and i still walk with a slight limp. I am now 28 and over the past 2 years it has been awful i have pain in my leg almost all the time and my lower back is just like a lot of other people have wrote bad in the mornings sometimes i have a problem throughout the day or depending on what im doing i have problems. Most recently it started feeling like my hip was popping when i moved certain ways and walking long distances just doesnt happen. It feels like my hip is grinding like bone on bone and i get a shocking pain down the front of my leg. They finally sent me to an ortho doc. Which told me i have arthritis in my hip and they said its not severe yet but its not mild and they understand y im having problems so yet did nothing. The consulted with an ortho surgeon and he said its a gaurantee that im gonna end up with a hip replacement but they say we dont like to do them before ur 40 so i guess im just gonna have to put up with everything till a doc. In my area feels its a concern to them. Only one seemed to have a slight care when he realized im also having some bladder problems and then acted kinda funny and said dont miss the urology appt. Ur primary doc set up. So my primary care doc. Is wondering if its not related to my hip. But the ortho i had that originally did both my surgeries is no longer practicing and never sent my records to my primary care doc. So they dont have anything but a letter saying i need to have an ortho consult in the future which i was never even told. So i figured approx. 18 years later wouls be in the future now that im having a lot of problems. But they keep saying my lower back has nothing to do with my hip so they keep doing mri's and have found nothing i do believe 2 weeks ago when i saw my ortho. They r starting to c this all may be related i guess but getting the docs around here to do anything is a laugh. So i know what it feels like to go through this also and feel for anyone that is also having problems. I still think docs and other people dont understand unless they have gone through it or r going through it. It effects ur everyday life and i would just like a little relief i know its never gonna go away its only gonna get worse down the road but i would like to run with my kids and go for long walks and just have a little less pain/ tolerable would be a good word.
Also they told me i have no flextion or whatever they call it. My leg does not turn outward at all when i sit with my legs dangling and they push my foot out and my knee should go in my leg just doesnt do that on the side with the pins.
Yeah I had this crap done also when I was young maybe 12 years old I'm now 29 and stay up all night and have pain with every step, its been a huge mental emotional thing for me, I always wanted to be physically fit and do police work bit my hip and leg pain just holds me back and now here comes the pain again... Good luck hope you find good news I'm waiting on the doc to call me so we can go over some options if any so atleast I can have less pain.
SCFE is emotionally draining me. When I was 11 I had to have surgery on both of my hips. At first i was told i had a pulled muscle at first and then six months later i was back in the hospital. They finally took x rays on my hips and told me my left hip was so bad that I probably would have to have a hip replacement.  Fortunately, screws and
pins were the result .There is hardly any rotation in my left hip that I can't even ride a bike. Anyways, boohoo right?? So today at age 26, I was back in the hospital for x rays. The pain is back in my left hip and feels like it's popping out of place when I walk. So scary. I'll find out the results in a few days. Wish me luck! If you are a parent out there reading this and you see your child limping, get x rays done. Don't mess around.
I had SCFE surgery when I was 12 both hips - left was worse - then pins removed at 14.  I was told at that time that they removed the pins because if they left them in, I would have such severe arthritis that I would be in a wheelchair at an elderly age.  My surgeon did say I could expect to have arthritis in my future years and also that I had to be careful not to do knee bends etc. and tear knee cartilage that was "soft" behind my knees due to the SCFE and misaligned legs etc. I am now 44.  I have lived with on and off knee and hip pain for most of my life, but it has always been there, so I just lived with it. Not sure what it feels like to be "normal" and not have some sort of discomfort or struggle with some exercise or activity, if only a little bit, but still have always had it.  The past two years have been very difficult however.  Pain has increased substantially.  I have tried NSAIDS, some made my legs shake at night etc. and I didn't like the results. Some were ok, but didn't ever take the dull ache pain away.  I have been to ortho recently to check - did XRay - Serious arthritis and he said that I will need to have the left one replaced, however; I am too young. He said I would end up just having to have it done again in 10 years, as most only last 10 yrs. So, then he says - "you can walk with a cane now and then have done later" --- ok, great - NOT happening. I want to dance at my childrens weddings and have a life.  So, I will now break down and seek the relief of a pain management specialist and see about going the narcotic route,  I guess. I was hoping someone on this blog might also have a good answer or suggestion on later years after having this done.
My son had this done on both of his hips about 6 yr ago and is now suffering from lower back pain. The doctors (kaiser) say he is going to have to live with
it. They seem not to be able to help. What would you suggest be our next step in helping him get through this. He so depressed because of it
Wondering what your out come was. My son had his 6years ago and is now have sever back pain
When i was 13 i was limping for 2 months the doc's said its ''growing pains'' ha, eventually when my parents decided enoughs enough, we went back and my Doc said it could be SCFE to come back in 7days time for a scan.  In that time i was rushed to the hosptial for an emergency situ pin operation my leg had rotated 45 degrees with a moderate/severe slipped epiphysis.  I am now 23 had no real pain as such up until last Saturday.  I was walking down the stairs and the pain came on suddenly and was unbareable, i coudn't move or raise my leg, i couldn't flatten my foot, i had no control of my leg for 6 hours.  The experience was identical too when i was 13 before my op.  I started to get movement back with leg exercises, how ever now i am experiencing sudden sharp pains in my hip, with a constant ache and a limp.
My doctor said i have athoritis and have plenty of rest when in pain and to dose up on anti-inflammatorys and will need a hip replacement in 20 years.
I'm starring to really worry somethings up now and not sure what to do...  
Would greatly apperciate your comments, Thank-you x
The specialist also advised its bone on bone... Is this a problem ????
arthritis is basically "bone on bone" its where your cartilage wears down over time.. i had sever arthritis over time, im 24 now and just had my hip replaced 4 months ago as of yesterday. i would look around at different doctors and see what they say. i had scfe @ 9 in the left hip and mine was severe as well but then developed avascular necrosis (blood supply to the bone was cut off) and they had to do a tripple osteotomy (reconstuction of the pelvis, femur, and socket) at age 10. I also developed scfe in my rt hip but it was caught early enough and they were able to just put a pin in it and eventually down the road i'll need surgery in that one. i would search around for doctors though and see what they say. every doctor told me i needed hip replacement, though it was so complicated nobody would do it. it took me a few months to find my surgeon. if you want to, send me a message.
Thank-you very much for your response, greatly appreciated!  Im really sorry to hear how involved yours has been.  I hope your operation went well.  My injury doesn't appear to be as severe as yourselves so i am guessing the doc propably is about right with the 20 year wait for the hip replacement.  I am awaiting an mri to hopefully rule out the chance of Avascular Necrosis.  Did you experience pain quite regularly before your recent op?  I haven't experienced anything like this for 10years, and if honest a little scared.  
Thanking you for your comments x
Scfe with hip impingement can be treated with hip preservation surgery.
Write to kris thiem at ***@**** at rady hospital san diego and ask for the scfe specialist Dr Hosalkar who is famous as Dr H. Very very likely he will be able to help you.
I had SCFE surgery with 3 pins (after three weeks in traction) on left hip in March 1973 and had them pulled three years later. At just past 52 I started having pain in my hip as well, mainly during certain movements like pulling you leg into the car or putting your foot on the tub to dry your leg. Have to help it along. I do not recall the Doc ever mentioning this as something to be prepared for. Went to the ortho last week and he pretty much said if you have this surgery you will need a hip at some point since they never get things aligned as our maker would so it wears out. He told me 1-10 yrs, but based on what I told him he estimates I will want it done in 2-3. I have been playing golf and tennis for years and can do that usually pain free so I will go as long as needed and get a second opinion as I move forward.
I posted a year ago, about getting in shape and how I was overcoming a lot of the pain and even increasing my range of motion. I was doing AMAZING, I walked the entirety of Disney for 2 days, and then only used the cart for half the day every other day I was there, then 2 months after that I woke up and more or less couldn't walk. I could, but with difficulty and almost unbearable pain, I was constantly connected to my tens unit, was taking 30mg of morphine 3x a day and still hardly any relief. Then I opted for the replacement because that was not the life I wanted to lead. October 25, 2011 I had the surgery done, it took over twice as long as the doctor expected because it was so complicated and he had to cut and move muscles, added 2 inches to my left femur. I got to admit I was getting more and more scared the closer I got to the surgery I said I wanted to put off until later in life. The recovery was twice as long as usual, but I got to say I am not in any way close to the pain I was in before. My back still hurts pretty regularly but even that has dimmed down, my left knee hurt pretty bad after (because it was moving differently) and it pops a bit but it's adjusting. I couldn't touch my left foot, missed spots all the time while shaving my left leg, now I can touch it, i can feel my leg I can bend without throwing my left leg out behind me. I still have my issues with only being 24 and just having the surgery because the life expectancy isn't that great, but it definitely did help.
It is scary, I was in pain 90% of the time between 9-24. I could do more when I was younger but not without paying for it at the end of the day or even the next day. If the pain is affecting your every day life and your overall happiness, that's when you should start thinking about it, but always research the technology so you can keep up with it, though not much has changed in the last ten years even though they say it has. Doctors are one thing, but friends and family that aren't going through it tend to be a little pushy with I don't understand why you don't do this or just do that, I had a lot of pressure from those who knew about what I was going through because they "read something" .. Did you find out whether or not it was avascular necrosis? and sorry it took me so long to respond! Hope I offered some help :-)
I totally agree about parents and getting xrays done, even if the doctor says they're not necessary, PUSH! or go to another doctor. Had I had an xray done, as my mom had asked the doctor, then I wouldn't have had the need for a hip replacement at 24. They may find nothing, but that's a hell of a lot better than not looking and ending up with something that will last a lifetime.
hey i had this hip surgery at 12 and now im 14 they told me i cant do any sports till im 16 probably no one bealived me at school that this was serious they all called me a fake also when i got this unfortunally they diddnt catch it early i fell when i was out at the dock it was raining and i went to the beach that day and then i just fell in a deep pain it was horrible..... i am doing great now the doctor said better than more cases and maybe even doing sports earlier than he thought:) it is just somthing i have to live with. what doesnt kill you makes you stronger!!!!!
Just to let you know, my son had this sugery when he was 11 also. Our doctor did tell us that the the screw could be removed after the hip was healed. It was an option. In hind sight, I wish we would have had it removed.  The problem he is having now, only four years later, is do to the screw limiting the growth of the bone. My son had no choice but to have the surgery and we were very satisfied with his results until this year. He has played football, participated in power lifting run track, plays tennis and jogs daily. He has complained off and on about minor pain and not feeling as stong in that leg, but nothing serious. Last year he was xrayed because he complained more than normal, and all looked well. This time not so lucky. We are now facing a second surgery of some sort, trying to decide what is best. If it was me, especially since that doesn't really seem to be what was wrong in the first place for your son, I would have it removed so that his bone would be allowed to grow.
I am now having issues with my SCFE bilateral hip screws.  My right hip is constantly in pain, and making my life a little more difficult, but not impossible.  I am 30 years old, and I am hoping I don't continue to have issues with this affliction.  I do have some minor arthritis, but I am also dealing as I have a lot of issues, and I am still overweight.  I had the right hip done at 15, and the left at 16.  Back then (15 years ago) it was called Slipped Epiphysis Hip Syndrome.  My doctor also told me I could have my pins (2 each hip) removed if ever need be, but I have more recently heard that maybe more complicated now that they maybe "fused" into my bone.  I am not sure what to do either.
Hi Dr.Vinod, I am arora from India.
My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with mild scfe about 4 months back. she had symptoms of mild pain and a limp for about a 10 days which went away after we gave her complete rest. since then to now she is same status only once after 3-4 days she will complain of a mild pain in thigh or knee, but still no limp. she is off all school activities except swimming. we have measured her degree of slip which is 24.8 and next want to measure after 3 months so as to compare if the slip is progressing or stable and thereafter decide for surgery. she is currently on ayurveda medicine for strengthning bones.
can you give us your input if we are on right track. we will be grateful. thanks
please reply on : ***@****

While I hate to see so many people having complications, I am glad to know I'm not imagining my symptoms. I had this surgery (I'm pretty sure, although I only knew it as surgery to fix slipped cartilage in my hip) when I was 12, and I'm now 44 - I noticed several years ago, I started having a dull pain in the hip I had fixed. This past weekend I guess I overdid it, doing several fitness classes in a row, and now the pain is almost unbearable - extreme throbbing on the outside and painful to touch. I was wondering if anyone else had that - pain to touch. I had a deep-tissue massage last month and almost jumped off the table when the masseuse started digging his hand into that part of my thigh...maybe I should take a copy of this thread to my Dr. since he's never paid attention to this in the past. Thanks to everyone for sharing!
My 12 year old normal weight daughter had scfe last sep.. Her one leg is 2cm shorter and has drop foot and cant lift her big toe on her good side. My question really is about aftet the surgery. She has had intensive physio but she still limping as badly as she was before her surgery.. Im a worried mum and want to reassure her that she will walk normally soon but im worried that she wont
I know exactly what you are going through. I am 16, I had one screw put into each hip when I was about 12, and I am already feeling the exact things that you are but in my left hip. I am a very dedicated football player who weight-trains constantly and on and off I feel my hip becoming worse and worse. I just don't know what to do.
My symptoms sounds a lot like yours Jason. Can you give us an update? I really haven't had much trouble with my hip till now. I'm 45 and my hip feels strange. My lower back, however, is very problematic.
My son is going to be 14 next week, had surgery in Jan. 2013 on Left hip.  He very active, he plays competetive tennis, basketball and all other sports for fun.  The Dr. suggested not to take the pin out until 16 when he would be done with his growth. Any suggestions?  

The Dr. is also watching the Right hip. He return to sports but moderate, How this happens he is not overweight and I dont remember him falling??  I'm not sure if I should tell him about all this posting, he'll be devestaded...He cry when Dr. told him no competetive tennis yet, last week its only been two and half months since surgery. But he doesn't want the other hip done he better take it easy...

Could this have been avoided if he rested when he felt pain?

Would regular physical maintance, like streching, yoga, and bands helps to avoid future pain, discomfort and systoms?
I had SCFE bilateral in situ fixation (one screw per hip) for a stable slip when i was 12. i am 26 and have been very active in my life, with running, sex, everything. just a month ago i started having locking and popping of my hip joint, and its affecting me very much emotionally and physically. I am going to the doctors tomorrow but am worried that I may have to get another surgery. I am not sure what the prognosis might be, but im scared :( :(
My son had a pin for SCFE last year.  Four months later, his hip slipped again.  The doctors removed his first screw, put in a longer one and a second screw for added stability.  He has been able to return to all activities.  The last couple of times he has played hockey, (defence) his hip has bothered him.  He claims it is just from the pivoting.  This child has an extremely high tolerance for pain.  Has anyone else experienced pain or complications from the screws in their hips?
We went to see the doctor today.  He said he has femoral acetabular impingment.  Has anyone else been diagnosed with this?  What is the prognosis.  Right now, he is told he doesn't not surgery as the pain is only with certain movements.  EX. pivoting?  
My story is similar to so many in this group...comforting to know there are others out there experiencing the same issues.  I limped along for about 6 months at age 12...chalked up to growing pains until the pain in my left hip became unbearable...one visit to an orthopedist and I was in the hospital the next day in traction diagnosed with a severe slip...11 days of traction to stabilize the leg...then 4 pins.  Months of rehab and crutches.  A year later, back to remove the pins in the left hip and right hip diagnosed with mild slip.  4 pins out, 2 pins in.  More rehab and crutches.  A year after that, pins removed so no more metal in the body...and all was good.  Doc told me at the time that I could pretty much lead a 'normal' life but to lay off jogging/distance running and that I could look forward to arthritis in my 50's or 60's.  Never a mention of a hip replacement in the future.  

Would say I have lived a fairly normal existence during the rest of my teens, 20's, and most of my 30's.  But things have been steadily going downhill the past 5 years...particularly with the left hip.  Started with steadily increasing pain.  occasional limp. Forget about running...even short distances...look like a penguin and it hurts like heck.  Can feel the crunch of bone on bone when I put my hand on the left hip and walk.  Went to see multiple Orthos when I turned 40....xrays revealed my left hip is pretty much shot...there is no ball and joint left...just a block of bone.  Severe osteoarthritis. Right hip better but showing some signs of early arthritis....feels fantastic compared to the left side.  Will need a hip replacement and the docs were surprised I was able to function and walk based on what the rays looked like.  I am a "coper" and have high pain tolerance so the decision at the time was wait as long as able until it completely overtakes my life.  Well almost three years later...not surprising it is not getting better.  Now a constant limp as well as a constant dull ache with some shooting pain. Hard to get comfortable in bed/affecting sleep thru the night.  Getting very hard to carry anything up stairs...like my daughter. Almost impossible to clip nails, very difficult to put socks on and tie shoes.  Took the family to amusement park last weekend and after a full day of walking around the park i could barely get back to the car...hip was screaming at me.  So going back to Ortho in a week...will get a follow up X-ray but I already know the result...the time has come to stop coping and get the bionic left hip...this year...maybe within months or even weeks...next comes deciding on what material to go with...ceramic/ceramic seems promising for younger folks which I like to consider myself...and what is the state of the right hip and will I need them both done.

Will let y'all know how it goes.

After reading your story, I noticed the ceramic/ceramic you were saying for your replacement. Go to youtube and type him ceramic hip replacement squeak. It definitely is more durable, however there is a chance that you will squeak while you walk. Also, they can shatter and that is definitely no good.
I also completely feel your pain, though as a child I was told without a doubt i'd need the replacement and they opted for sooner rather than later. I went almost 15 years (I'm 25 now, I had it done just after I turned 24) before I couldn't take it anymore (I have a few postings within this thread explaining my history etc.). I have a titanium base with a ceramic ball and my range of motion has been fantastic since the surgery. My hip has been much better since the surgery, but of course my rt hip had a minor slip and now that's starting to bother me. My rt knee was just diagnosed with osteoarthritis, my back is all sorts of messed up, and my left shoulder pops and my left hand goes numb at times due to my neck being out of whack. All from the left hip. Get the surgery before everything else starts to go. I'm going through this at 25 and I'm dreading every birthday at this point and how the rest of my body is going to just start failing and all I can do is sit back and watch.
I had this surgery the summer before I turned 12, both hips.  I'm now 33 and having trouble.  About 3 years ago, I went to Disney World to celebrate my 30th; about 1-2 week later I developed bursitis in my hip....that is on my top 5 list of worst pain ever.  When I went the doctor, he touched my hip & I thought I was going to hop off the table (then slap him lol).   Treatment was steroid injection, NSAID, and stretches (I opted to go to PT).  I could barely walk when I went into the doctor & was walking my version of normal after the shot.  

Fast forward to present day, I started working out & over did.  The pain is worst than ever.  Went to the othro specialist a few days ago & they want to do a surgery called femoroacetabular impingement (FAI).  I am really thinking hard & long about doing this.  I feel overwhelmed o_0

I specialize in this particular problem. I am happy to take a look at your radiographs and guide you if you need help.

Dr Hosalkar
Hip Preservation Surgeon
San Diego
***@****
8585710606
Dr. Hosalkar,

My name is Jason. I had bi-lateral SCFE at age 13. Both hips were pinned in-situ. My hips never felt normal growing up, and I always had limitations with movement. I am now 38 and am pretty upset, as I just had a consult with a joint replacement specialist here in Los Angeles who said that I am not a candidate for hip resurfacing surgery due to the severe deformities of my hips. I wish to remain as active as possible throughout my life, and I worry about traditional hip replacements limiting my physical activities. Although I still have some mileage left in my hip joints (according to the surgeon), when the time comes for surgical intervention, I want to make sure I have hips that allow an active lifestyle.

Thank you,

Jason
Texasdude151:

I just saw a joint replacement specialist today here in So. Cal, and he said I don't need surgery yet and that I have some mileage left in my hip joints. I pretty much knew that, as I don't have much pain at all in my hips, but nonetheless, my x-rays don't look all that great. My right hip is severely deformed with marked joint space narrowing; my left hip looks a lot better, but it's still not great.
The main reason I went to see this doctor was to see if I was a candidate for hip resurfacing surgery, which is supposed to be superior to traditional hip replacement. Unfortunately, due to my severe hip deformities, hip resurfacing is not an option for me. And I'm bummed about it.
But hey, I can still walk, run if I need to, and be very active, so I have a lot to be happy about I guess. But the child in me wants to have normal hip joints with normal ranges of motion.
And my lower back still bothers me; I have chronic lower back stiffness and muscle pain.
imgravest:

Sorry to hear about your hip problems. These problems are no fun, huh? How are your hips doing? Are you able to continue to play football and weight-train? Can you bend your hips normally? I'm very active myself, and I lift weights about 4-5x week (I love weight-training). I also love biking and hiking, but because of my ongoing pain problems, I've laid off on a lot of the cardio activities, which makes it harder for me to get and stay lean.
Hi I'm Carlissia I'm 18 and going through the same problem left hip is so messed up I want to become a professional dancer even though the doctors said I can't I still push pass it but its emotionally draining though I do half of the stuff they do because of my hip I even had the pin removed 2 or 3 years later it didn't help though when I first started having the pain when I was younger my doctor said I just need to stretch we found out a few years later my hip bone was slipping the hold time. It's so deformed now though I just want my hip to be normal I use to cry every night but now it's a few times a month knowing I'm not a lone helps me a lot :) we'll make it through this guys
My son has his left hip done 2 years ago and since it was a "clean" slip, it was no problem.  Then last year, the right hip began to slip.  We continued to bring him into the doctor to determine when the right time to perform the right hip scfe.  In fact, we went the week before and within that week between appointments, it slipped.  The way it slipped, it rotated inward, and he will never have full internal rotation.  This past year he continued to play football, lacrosse, and weightlift.  However, as an offensive lineman, he cannot get in the proper stance and he hips and legs have a frog like appearance.  He is now 13 and we just got back from the doctor.  My son was begging for a solution for better internal rotation.  The doctor told him to leave the pins in and he could try a osteotomy but the problem is the possibility of a side effect of necrosis and then if that occurs, a total hip replacement.  We just got home and I think my son has come to the realization that he will never excel at Football like he wants to do.  I am worried about the long term emotional effects because of this issue.  I continue to blame myself everyday for not telling the doctor to go ahead and pin the right hip to prevent the second slip from occurring.  I just don't know how to talk to him about it.  It did not help that the doctor suggested that he try to throw shot put instead of football.  
My daughter who is 11 was just diagnosed today with SCFE. This all started in October and after seeing SEVERAL doctor's who continued to misdiagnose her we have arrived at today's dx. I had never heard of SCFE until today and of course I have thousands of questions, but the main question I have for all of you it how "normal" was your all's activity level after the surgery? Did you have a limp? Were your hips in alignment? How long was your recovery? Basically what's the worst case scenario?
My son has just had both hips pinned yesterday after a year of misdiagnoses, seveere slip of the right hip, and has to go back in six months for another operation to try and rotate the hip into a better position.was told it was a pulled groin muscle and he would be fine to do pe in school, which I refused to let him do.has anyone sucsessfully sued for mis diganoses.the consultent couldn't believe how bad a slip it was and has asked if he can use my sons x-rays to teach other doctors.
I am 35 yrs old now and had surgery for scfe when I was 14yrs old and then 15 on my other leg . The pain I'm experiencing is unbearable sometimes because of my job .I work for a cable company and I'm required to climb poles on a daily basis and I'm thinking now I may have to go have my hips evaluated because it feels as if my left hip has slipped again. I still have the pins in both my hips and was wondering did anyone have theirs remove and also did anyone need to have their hips repaired as an adult?
My daughter is 10 years old and had surgery in April 2013. She was diagnosed with SCFE. She had emergency surgery the following day. My family DR diagnosed her on her first appt with him. She had surgery at Children's Hospital. She just had her 12 week follow up and her Surgeon was so happy on how well she is doing. It was on her left side but the Surgeon recommended to do both sides. She is doing really good. Off the wheel chair and crutches. We also found out she has a low thyroid. Which they say is very common in SCFE patients.
I have 3 pins in my right hip (age 13) and a bone graft on the left(14). Knee pain and constant hip ache started at about 25.I'm 35 now. Some days are worse than others, but most of the time I don't realize it's hurting until someone asks about the limp. But after spending 2 years on crutches, in traction, a body cast, and wheel chair, I'm just flat out too stubborn to go back. I control pain with a daily dose of glucosemine chondroitin and Aleve. I stay active and practice yoga for flexibility. I've had two children with little complication. Just keep going
i had my right hip pinned when i was about13 pins was taken out about 16 i am now 39 years old i have noticed for the past 4 mounths i am having pain in my left hip clicking and movement ie putting socks on lifting leg up is a problem and pain trying to find out if there is a chance that my  so called good hip can dislocate to in time also most of my weight has always been put on that hip to as one leg a bit shorter than other. not sure what to do. thanks sara.x