Orthopedics Community
SCFE opperation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

SCFE opperation

hello I am Hannah and i am 16 years old. i had a SCFE opperation on my left hip when i was 12 years old. I have never fitted any of the criteria they look for to diagnose this although doctors were uncertain of hip problems at birth so it took the doctors 8 months of pure agony if i'm honest to diagnose me. When they did eventually diagnose me, they rushed me into next day surgery and I made a full recovery after the opperation and luckily haven't had it affect my right hip as they said it may have done within a year of the opperation. I have been so lucky as to join the gym and enjoy working out etc and the only pain i have ever felt is aching in the cold which i know is to be expected. Over the last few months i have however been feeling sore and aggitated and if i'm honest i am absolutely terrified! The doctors have already dragged it on for a few months and i'm so scared of any more opperations or the possibility of arthritus. I was very devoted to gymnastics up until my opperation but had to give it up after and though i know i will never be able to do that again i would give absolutely anything to just be able to enjoy sports and have a normal set of hips. I spend so much of my time lately crying and afraid and i don't really feel like any of my friends or anything understand what it's like to be afraid of what your own body is going to do to you.. They have signed me up to do the race for life this year as a big group and i want to do it more than anything but i'm so scared of doing damage that i've stopped going to the gym or doing games in school from fear of doing more damage. My parents put it down to my gaining of a boyfriend. I have a vague memory of my mum asking the doctor if my condition would affect my ability to have sex in the future and they had simply said it varies from person to person and some positions may be uncomfortable but it should be fine... Could this be a contributing factor? The doctors seem to just um and ahh and i never get anywhere...  I really need to talk to people who are going and have been through the same thing. sorry about the rant...
Hey Hannah!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details such as the severity of the condition, the precise surgery done, the current status etc. or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. Though SCFE predisposes one to degenerative arthritis is future often requiring a joint replacement, the rate of degeneration is variable between individuals. While more than mild-moderate activity is best avoided, there is usually no limitation of regular activities. Though it would be difficult to predict a precise prognosis, I would suggest discussing the situation, the suggested management plan and the expected prognosis in detail with your treating orthopedician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!