SEVERELY COMMINUTED TIBIA FRACTURE
Hello , My Father who is 53 yrs of age , had an accident with the car 3 months back, he had severely comminuted lower tibia fracture, it was open fracture, that day he was operated for 2 and a half hrs and bone grafting was done and plates and screws were planted, his ankle was safe fortunately. he was discharged after 4 days of surgery but he was told not to put weight for 3 months, now after 3 months he had xray done , but unfortunately on xray there is no improvement at all according to the doctor.But all fragments and plates are in the right position and allignment is also right. Doctor said that it will take more than 8 months.. Kindly help me to understand that how much is the normal healing time for severely comminuted tibial fracture in distal one third, How much should we wait more till it can be said that ITS NON UNION .IS THERE A TREATMENT OF NON UNION . PLUS LET ME KNOW THAT was IT TOO EARLY i . e 3 months TO DO XRAY FOR SUCH KIND OF FRACTURE.. SHOULD WE HAVE WAITED FOR MORE TIME BECAUSE IT REALLY DEMORALIZED MY FATHER!
I had close to the same injury-the same actually only fibula fractures as well.Had IM nail put in my tibia w/screws and screws for a commuted malleolus.My fibular break didn't heal after 5 months so a bone graft was done -taking bone from my hip.-I was able to walk after about 6 wks ashealing had started. I also took from that point 1000mg of vitamin C as well as D3-whether that helped or not I don't know. I think age is always a factor in healing as well-I was 41 when my battle started-I am 43 now.Is he putting any weight on his leg@ all? My Dr. was always of the opinion that even touch weight bearing stimulates thebone. Even though I have "healed" and have had hardware removed 5 wks ago I still have problems and am still gong to PT. These injuries are pretty tough.  I might consider a second opinion if this is a option for your father. Good luck to you!