Orthopedics Community
Sciatica

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Sciatica

Hello all,

Well, I finally was given some conclusive diagnosis - a heavily inflamed Sciatica. It got to the point where I could barely walk and was in such severe pain I was bed-ridden for over a week. My PCP eventually gave me Percoset and some Aleve (which combined helped take the edge off - but still pain). I have been told that usually the sciatica heals and/or pain subsides in @4 weeks on its own. I was thinking of visiting a chiropracter, a physical therapist, and purchase some better walking/running shoes.

Any final thoughts for me?

Thanks again!

-hchytd
Avatar dr m tn
Hello!

The most common reasons are due to lower lumbar spine problems and I would suggest you to follow proper ergonomics and have proper lifestyle changes. Have proper balanced diet and also maintain proper body weight and use proper chairs and beds to limit wear and tear of your spine. Always wear proper foot wear. I would also suggest you to go for stretching exercises if the pain is chronic and also for physical therapy. Follow up with an orthopedician.

Take care!

Thank you!