Orthopedics Community
Sclerotic lesion on anterior right ischium with non sclerotic appearanc...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Sclerotic lesion on anterior right ischium with non sclerotic appearance posterior

I have a six year old daughter.  An abdominal x ray was done in October for abdominal pain.  At this time a lesion was discovered on her right hip bone.  It had a well defined appearance of a circle.  She had complained of some pain in her right leg prior to this but it was not consistant.  In January another x ray was done for comparison on that area and the lesion was still there but had not changed.  She was then sent for a CT scan on the region last week and the pediatrician called today with the results.  The lesion was well defined anteriorly but not posteriorly.  There was also another lesion discovered  on the ischium about mid line that was described as non sclerotic.  She stated that non sclerotic may suggest that the lesions were not benign and is sending her to a pediatric orthopedic doctor.  My daughter has a history of systemic mastocytosis that affects her skin and presents with hives.  She has not had an episode in over a year and is other wise healthy.  Her growth is on track and she doesn't consistantly complain of pain in this region.  My question is whether these lesions may be something that is common or if the mastocytosis may now be affecting her bones.  Any information to ease my mind would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

M Dawn
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Mastocytosis is a disorder with mast cell growth and accumulation within various organs, most commonly the skin.

The skeletal, blood & bone marrow, gastrointestinal, heart, pulmonary, and central nervous systems may be involved directly, via mast cell infiltration, or indirectly, via mast cell mediator release.

The major criterion for diagnosis is multiple dense infiltrates of mast cells observed in bone marrow biopsy specimens and mast cells stained for tryptase in biopsy specimens from other organs including her skeletal tissue.

You should go for a biopsy for confirmation and this can also be a tumour of her hip bone without mastocytocis

Take care!

Thank you for posting with this information.  I had been wracking my brain to think of anything that may have caused this other than a presence of a tumor.  The Mastocytosis was the most traumatic thing that she has ever been diagnosed with so I wanted to get some information to see if that dianosis could be a factor in these findings.  Thank you again.  Our next step is with an pediatric ortho doctor and my hope is that this is not of the most serious of issues due to the fact that she isn't complaining of constant pain and is very active with the energy of what seems like ten 6 year olds.  Thank you again for your post.

Mdawn