Orthopedics Community
Second Opinion of an MRI Scan (ACL injury to knee)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hi all, I am new here. Feel free to skip the details in the second paragraph as my main question is in the 3rd paragraph regarding the diagnosis I am getting for my MRI images.

Recently I twisted my knee while lying down and massaging my calves on a foam roller. I put all my weight on one calf and turned it with my knee bent to massage the side of my calf, upon turning I felt a weird sensation and the joint seemed to be unstable the next day. Yes I know it is a really stupid way to injure myself and the doctors that I have been to did not really think it was a serious injury due to the mild mechanism of injury. I didn't think it was a serious injury as I could still walk despite the weird and loose feeling in my knee and the next day I continued to massage my calf muscles the same way and it happened again when I bent the knee! This time there was a bit of burning sensation and a little bit of swelling/tenderness and my knee felt really unstable and whenever I bent it a little it would go a little more on its own, something was really wrong. However a day later I actually extended my knee to the maximum and massaged it and the buckling went away magically, the knee felt much more stable than before but still loose compared to the other knee. It feels weak and everytime I try to raise my leg up when standing it felt loose.

I went to 3 orthopaedic specialists and got an MRI scan with the third specialist. All of them seemed to think it was nothing serious but I did feel something wrong with my knee! The 3rd specialist diagnosed me upon studying my MRI scan films with a sprained ACL. However I know the word sprained is very vague and it could mean a partial tear and the doctor said I did not have a partial tear. He told me I needed just two weeks to get better but I told him that its already been 3 weeks. Also I have heard that the ACL does not heal easily (or even heal at all) and the doctor switched to saying that he HOPE it will be better in 2 weeks. The doctor is supposedly renowned. Hence I am really confused by this diagnosis. To add to my paranoia, I read online that once the ACL is stretched it can never recover and it will remained stretched and gives problems for life while other sources seem to say that a sprain to the ACL can totally heal on its own, some sources suggest it will take months to heal, others suggest that it will take weeks. More paranoia came when I read that MRI images cannot be used to diagnose partial tears accurately. So my stretched ACL could actually be a partial tear diagnosed incorrectly!

Upon googling some results of the MRI images of a normal ACL intact knee and comparing to mine, I seem to have a positive or too little negative ACL Blumensaat angle. Hence I am hoping that anyone here who is experienced with looking at MRI images can help me with it? Also it seems that my ACL is not perfectly dark and solid like my PCL, is there a need to feel worried about it and see another doctor? Thank you in advance people. My MRI images are shown below with the first link being the most important image I think. The rest of the images for the lateral aspect of my knee is shown in the other links as well.

http://imageshack.us/a/img844/4290/qacr.jpg This first picture is the most important one I believe.

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/954/5r4r.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img823/4885/6d0m.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img809/5977/xv2d.jpg
Hi!
To put it simply, a dark ACL is an intact ACL. A partial loss in darkness is indicative of a sprain. The Blumensaat angle is more or less normal. Normally this sprain should heal in 6-8 weeks with the requisite physiotherapy. Other than this there may be dislocation of patellar tendon due to laxity of ligaments and tendons. This can be detected by doing a MRI with knee in bent position. Please consult your doctor regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.