Orthopedics Community
Severe Hip Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Severe Hip Pain

Hello!  I am a 28 year old female who has been having severe outer hip pain for about a year now.  Before it was sporadic and would come and go...almost like I could hit the ground when the sharp pain hit.  It is much more regular now.  I have trouble just walking anymore.  I am not over weight and have no diagnosed medical problems....  I have been to a chiropractor and my family physician.  Neither of which helped any.  I cannot lie on my left side because of the pain.  I have tried anti inflammatory medications to no avail.  I am at my wits end with this chronic pain. As a teenager I did have reconstructive knee surgery to repair a torn ACL on the same leg. Has anyone had this type of pain before or does anyone have any advice as to treatment options??  thanks in advance to anyone who may reply.  Brandy
    How are you? Hip pain involves any pain in or around the hip joint. Two possible causes of hip pain are fractures and insufficient blood flow to the hip (aseptic necrosis). Hip fractures become more common as people age because falls are more likely and bones become less dense. People with osteoporosis can get a fracture from simple, everyday activities, not just a dramatic fall or injury.

As there is no history of trauma, aseptic necrosis could be the cause of pain in hip. Aseptic necrosis can happen if you have been on steroids for a long time or you have sickle cell anemia. Injury and regular use of alcohol also increase your risk. Other possible causes could be arthritis, bursitis, tendonitis, sprain and infection etc.

Diagnosis can be made with the help of x-rays and MRI films. Treatment can be done with rest, avoiding aggravating activities, NSAID’s, physical therapy, steroid injections etc. Surgical repair or hip replacement may be recommended for aseptic necrosis. Hip replacement is necessary for hip fracture and severe arthritis which is reluctant to conservative treatment.
Best.
I agree with the doc.. I have AVN bilaterally of my hips and your pain only brings back memories of a short time back of what I went through in the beginning stages..  after a while I got use to the pain being there..  but it did dim down a bit... but still very much severe...  I would request for a MRI..  and bring up AVN.. most docs don't know much about this disease because it is very rare.. so make sure you do your homework ahead of time.. and be educated...  docs can make mistakes..  many of mine did.. took 9 ortho docs to get my AVN diagnosis.....  don't ever get discourage... push on till you get answers.. no matter how frustrating it can be....  you got to do it for you...  hopefully you don't have to go from doc to doc..  seeking answers but if you do...  stay strong..
take real good care of yourself and rest yourself good.. that is the first step to aiding in AVN...

annie
AVN means avascular necrosis, same as aseptic necrosis, ichemic necrosis, osteonecrosis.. they are all the same diseases..  not sure, but seems like they can't make up their minds on what to call it yet.. hehe  chin up..  and let me know how you are doing.. will be thinking of you!!

annie