Orthopedics Community
Severe Transient Synovitis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Severe Transient Synovitis?

Hi, 4 weeks ago today, my 5 year old daughter started to say her left leg was sore and she started to limp. At first, I assumed it was growing pains because she sometimes complained of sore bones when we used to go for walks around the block. After 5 days, I took her to the GP and she had an xray and ultrasound which showed fluid in her hip joint and she was diagnosed with Transient Synovitis and she was prescribed Panadol and Nurofen as required. As the weeks went on, her ability to use her leg lessened and eventually by week 3, she couldn't walk up stairs, lift her leg into the shower and struggled to walk. I ended up taking her back to the GP who said it was still the Transient Synovitis and it could last up to 4 weeks. As we entered the 4th week, she stopped walking altogether. I took her to the ED because her whole leg became stiff and her movement was minimal and quite painful. They took blood tests which were symptomatic but not worrying (docs words) and we were discharged with a referral to the Ortho Clinic and crutches. By 11am the next day, I was racing her back to the ED because the pain she was experiencing was excruciating. The poor little thing was shaking she was in that much pain. Her affected hip/leg was having spasms every 5 or so mins and she couldn't move it at all. Her hip area was also very tender to touch. More bloods were done which turned out again symptomatic but not worrying. It took 3 doses of Endone within 90 minutes to ease the pain. She was admitted to hospital for 5 days of bed rest. She was in that much pain, she couldn't even use the toilet because of the pressure on her hip. During this time, they did another xray, ultrasound and gave her a GA to have an MRI. The MRI, in addition to the effusion already noted, showed an edema in the femoral head bone area, but they said the blood supply to the Femoral head was ok, so Perthes Disease was ruled out. It took 3 days of around the clock Endone, Panadol and Nurofen for the pain to lessen and on the 4th day she was able to walk again, but still with a limp and some discomfort. Docs reassured me she would be fine within a couple of days, but tonight she is back to not being able to walk because of the pain. I am sure that this is NOT Transient Synovitis but would like to hear of anyone who has an experience similar to this?