Orthopedics Community
Severe chest pain, ribs popping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Severe chest pain, ribs popping

I have pain in my chest, between the sternum, and the 4th rib approx., my GP thinks it's costochondrautis, but I've now laid off all heavy an strenuous lifting, and I've laid off all exercise except walking for the past 3 months. But the fourth rib still clicks when I sneeze or laugh, causing me great pain.
Any Ideas what and why it would do this? do I have a broken rib near my sternum and need surgery?
My GP has given me all sorts of antiflammatories, even cortizone injected into that area. I've had acupuncture and physio, but the pain is still there.
(Background) I recently had a motorbike accident, which brought on the most severe pain, but it was happening at a lesser extent when I was kickboxing 4 months before the accident, I would be able to pop my chest out after a surf, without much pain, by leaning backwards and push my shoulders back, my GP blow that off by saying I just needed to sit a up straight.
Could be costocondritis but I would get an x-ra to see if i is broken
Um, dont do the chest popping thing anymore!

You may have a rib dislocation, or weakened the joint with repeated movement of it. Sounds as though you have aggravated it by the recent accident, on an already irritated area.

If you can get to a chiropractor, osteopath, physio, sports therapy masseur/se get them to check the alignment of your spine. Misalignment can cause the ribs to crack and click.

Maybe it is costochondritis but a timeframe of recovery would be helpful!
Also, has your Dr investigated with xrays?  Even if your rib is broken if it's stable it shouldnt need surgery.
wow, i had a similar thing, i popped off the rib head on the left side, fourth rib at the sternum, my chiropractor fixed me in one trip
i have done it since, one sneezing really bad, another time drying my hair upside down and when i flipped back, it popped

chiropractor fixes me every time.  fourth rib pain can mimic some cardiac as well,

best of luck
I get this too, except I LOVE sneezing because 8 out of 10 times when I sneeze the chest POPS/SNAPS and I feel relief for like 5 minutes then this discomfort returns.  My doctor says it's "normal".  I know chest popping occasionally is NORMAL but not this discomfort.  It's hard for me to sleep because it tightens up and feels like one side of my rib cage is trying to overlap the other side.  Went to a chiropractor and it only seemed to aggravate the condition.  I think I must have broken a rib connecting to the sternum when my husband tried to crack my upper back in "bear hug" position.  I think he hugged a little too hard.  I don't think this will heal unless I pop it into place and then lay there for 2 weeks.  At least now I know to quit messing with it since it won't heal with my constant twisting and pressing.... :shock:  ...
I have the same problem as many of you. I've seen so many different doctors and they all give different answers. I've had the pain for over a year and i have an indent in my right side where my ribs hurt. I've been told its costochondrautis and three ribs popped out front and back. And a lot of other things. I would just like to find out what causing me pain.
COSTOCHONDRITIS- SOME OF YOU

PRE-CORDIAL CATCH SYNDROME-MOST OF YOU...precordial catch syndrome also known as texidors twinge  causes sporadic chest pain look it up on the internet im a med studen at university of nevada school of medicine and ive found in my research that chest pain(non-cardiac) is usually attributed to the displacement of costo-transverse joints, and inflamed cost-sternal joints, use a cold compress on affected area then use a warm compress and really a chiropractor is the way to go for treatment of this little ailment...i suffered with it myself for a year or so...its just troublesome to diagnose because there can be so many causes

joy-linn you have a slipped costo-transverse joint which is causing your costo-chondritis