Orthopedics Community
Severe right ankle sprain-Have 2 weeks before appointment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Im a very active 30 y/o male in Montreal. I recently(7 days ago) suffered a very severe ankle sprain when I rolled my right ankle over someone's foot while playing indoor soccer. I went to the emergency room, got X-rays (no fracture) and have stayed off it, RICE etc.

I have only been able to get an appointment with an Orthopedists until March 27, which will be almost 20 days after the accident. All I was told is to use crutches and stay off it.

MY QUESTION: Im in Canada and simply cannot get an appointment faster. I am very worried that as the ankle is healing (swelling has already gone down a lot and I see the brusing) it (my ankle) is not completely immobilized. is there anything I can do?? I'm nervous that these ligaments may heal in the wrong position and I will suffer permanent damage. I play A LOT of sports and I'm very nervous.

THANK YOU!!

Jack
Hey Jack!

Ligaments unlikely bones do not heal in the wrong position and this is likely to heal well before you get to see the orthopedician. I would suggest following your doctor’s advice and limiting weight bearing and excessive movements around the joint. Use of crepe bandage and crutches may be helpful for the same. Ice-packs and Tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS may be helpful for symptomatic relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Than you!

I'm doing everything I can to stay off it, icing 3-4 time a day and taking NSAIDS for one more week.

Thanks for your reply! This was worrying me a lot. At least it won't heal improperly from "position" which would have been out my control.

Thank again,

J

Thank you agin for your previous response. I have another question, though.
I saw an otrhopedist he said I should give it some more time and go back to my yoga practice etc. as good ways to stabilize the joint.

Oddly enough though, now that I am full weight bearing and walking quite well, I have begun to experience a lot of pain in my deltoid ligament. I did have bruising on the inner part of my foot, even though it was an inversion sprain. Its been 5 weeks already and I never had this pain before but it is actually pretty painful.

any advice? will this also heal slowly? More importantly, I have not been able to execercise at all. I did a few spinning (cycling) clases before the pain began but took it very easy during and now that I have pain.

I am not sure if I should keep doing these with the pain or I am aggrivating the injury. I don't know what to do but I assume I have to go through some pain as part of the rehab. Just not sure if not exercising (as I have done again this week) is good or not.

any advice on this greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again,

Jack

P.S. still have some (minor) pain on the top of the foot and ATFL but the Deltoid pain is more severe and was not there before.