Orthopedics Community
Sharp Knee Pain Underneath Knee Cap

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Sharp Knee Pain Underneath Knee Cap

I am 23 and when I'm kneeling and leaning slightly forward, I feel a very sharp knee pain, as if I just rolled on to a pin. My job requires me to work on all sorts of projects and one day, while organizing cords underneath my desk, I was on my knees and when I leaned forward to reach for the cord, I felt this terribly sharp pain on my knee and thought I had rolled right onto an upright push pin. I hadn't. This was almost a year ago. I thought that was just a one time issue and would heal with extra care and time. However, anytime since then, when I've been on my knees, cleaning or something, I feel that needle pain all over again.

I am a Very active individual and although I haven't had any significant injury to justify the pain, I have had knee pain off and on (but not like this). When I was an early teen, I grew very very quickly and the arches in my feet collapsed, causing all sorts of weird foot/knee pain, so I've always disregarded the issue (feet are fine now). However, my general knee pain has never seemed to go away; I take a multi - vitamin, glucosamine and calcium, I cannot use the treadmill, I take caution when on the elliptical, I prefer the rowing machine over the stair step or the bike, and even avoid lunges.

In spite of all that care, since I had that one incident underneath my desk, that sharp pin/needle pain is just killer. I've researched the issue but haven't been able to find someone near my age with that sharp pain. I have no idea what my options are: Is this something I can treat myself? Is this just part of my general knee issue? Should I go to the Dr.? Should I expect any sort of special scans? (I do have insurance, but money is tight) It just ***** to have such a sharp pain when in such a common, and unavoidable position.

Advice please.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? If your symptoms recur and pain and anti-inflammatory medications do not help, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Imaging studies such as MRI may help determine the underlying cause and to reach a definite diagnosis. Treatment will depend on the findings and diagnosis. Take care and do keep us posted.