Sharp pain after 2 months pre-op knee surgery
I had a total knee replacement on July 29 of this year. After returning home on the 20 of August everything seemed fine with having physical therapy.  Then about 3 weeks ago I began having severe sharp, stabbing pain on the right side of my knee and behind my kneecap. I had an MRI which showed I had sciatica in my spine. I was sent for an epidural block yesterday with no relief whatsoever. I had a left knee and right hip replacement at the same time 3 years ago and never experienced anything like this. What do I do now? I have no back pain, the only pain I have is in the outside of the knee and the back of my knee, I can't move it, if I do the pain is unbearable. I hope you have some answer for me, I am at my wits end.

Thank you so much for your time.  
    I can understand your situation. Pain on the outside of the knee, or lateral aspect of the knee joint, is commonly caused by lateral meniscus tears, lateral collateral ligament injuries, IT band tendonitis, and arthritis of the joint. Pain in the back of the knee can be due to the formation of a cyst, called a Baker's cyst in the back of the knee joint. Also common is for kneecap pain to be felt in the back of the knee.

Sciatica is a set of symptoms including pain that may be caused by general compression and/or irritation of one of five nerve roots that give rise to the sciatic nerve, or by compression or irritation of the sciatic nerve itself. The pain is felt in the lower back, buttock, and/or various parts of the leg and foot.

Treatment of the underlying cause of the compression is often the most effective course. When the cause is due to a prolapsed or lumbar disc herniation,  with supportive treatment to help relieve pain, 90% of disc prolapse will recover with no specific intervention. Genetics appear to influence the risk of developing disc herniation.

Visit a orthpaedician in case the pain is not relieved in a couple of days. May be another block might be required.
Take care.