Orthopedics Community
Shattered Elbow

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Shattered Elbow

Hiya,

Well im 18 now and when i was 4 i shattered my elbow into a number of small pieces, by falling off a windowsill, which needed to be held together by 4 pins, later removed through surgery. Starting about a year ago i get lots of pain in my elbow and it frequently seizes up. When this happens, if i try to move it, it makes a loud cracking noise, aches and continues to feel like the bones are grinding together. I was advised by my doctor to do some simple exercises, however these have made no difference and i was wondering if anyone has a similar problem or knows what this could be or if it could be fixed?

Thanks :)
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Physiotherapy is the best method in taking control of the situation. Do regular physio for some months to build some strength in your muscles and these symptoms will decrease.
In your X-ray it would be clear about the alignment of your ulna, radius, humerus and the elbow joint.
Surgery is the last option if your pain is not relieved and there is problem with alignment of the bones. Take care!