Shooting, Sharp pain in left shoulder
Four years ago I suffered a level 3 AC separation on my left shoulder. I decided not to have surgery and within a month or two my shoulder was basically pain free. As the years went on I would notice popping and minor aches and pains but nothing too serious. About two weeks ago I was playing lacrosse with my buddies and took a hard fall on my left shoulder,[the same one I separated]. I felt immediate pain and thought to myself I did it again. I went to the doctor and had some x-rays. The x-rays showed a level 3 separation. But wait... I never got the first one repaired so of course they will see the deformation of my shoulder. The doc and the PA said that I must have separated it again and referred me to an orthopedic surgeon. I agreed because it felt a lot like my first separation. I didn't feel the need to go and pay more money and take more x-rays for a condition I already know how to handle. So I never scheduled an appointment. Like I said it has been almost two weeks and now I’m starting to disagree with the diagnosis. The pain as gotten worse, not better! I have very intense pains in my shoulder that radiate towards my neck and down my arm. I would say it is a sharp intense pain. The pain is constant but at times it sends me through the roof. I have tried to ice my shoulder but the cold causes more pain. Another thing weird about the injury is when my shirt brushes up agents my shoulder even very lightly the pain gets worse. I'm not sure what to think about this but I have scheduled the appointment with the orthopedic, but he will not be able to get me in until a week from Thursday!! I'm starting to believe that he might not be able to help me. I’m doubting that this is a shoulder separation.  Could I have some nerve damage? Has anyone out there experienced pain like this? Does anyone know what might have happened? (physiologically) Is an orthopedic surgeon the best doctor to see? Or perhaps a neuro surgeon? Any ideas on how to get relief from the pain? Any information or personal experience will be helpful. The pain is almost unbearable. Thanks for taking the time to read this.. :)
You need to diagnose your case properly.

For soft tissue diagnosis of the problems in your tendons, ligaments and muscles you would need an MRI and follow up near your orthopaedician.

If required and if you have any nerve damage you would be referred to a neuro.

Take an appointment near an Orthopaedician and follow up.

Take care!