Orthopedics Community
Shooting Nerve Pain in Ankle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Shooting Nerve Pain in Ankle

For the past few days I have had these shooting pains in one spot on the front of my ankle just at the bone area. It started out as small twinges but each day it has gotten progressively worse. Now I have to hold my breath every time it comes back. The pains are very frequent probably about every 4-5 minutes and last for about 5 seconds when they come. No pain when it is over until it comes back again. I can't figure out what it could be. I'm taking Ibruprofin but it doesn't seem like it is enough.  HELP!!!
The shooting pain sounds as though you have a herniated or ruptured disc in the L-4/L-5 area that is pressing on the nerve which sends a shooting pain down the leg to the ankle.  I would go to an orthopedic doc if it doesn't improve in a week and they will take an xray and then if needed they will order an MRI of your spine.  

good luck
That sounds exactly how my sciatic pain started out.  Mine didn't really hurt at first.  It was sort of like a buzzing or electric sensation that would come and go with a similar frequency which you describe.  I have L4-L5 and L5-S1 bulges, one of which is believed to be causing the sciatic pain.  Haven't really done anything about it.  Now my entire right leg feels like it needs a root canal and I may need surgery.  Don't wait long, actively investigate this!  I think linder is right that you will likely need an MRI if it bothers you for very long, and then start trying things to head off worse problems.