Should I get ulnar nerve surgery now or wait longer?
Hi everyone. I have had extreme solid constant numbness in my pinky, ring finger, and that same edge of the hand for over 3 months now. The hand is becoming very slightly week and once in a while some pain down the forearm. Ive been diagnosed with ulnar nerve entrapment at the elbow by a neurologist and an orthopedic sergeon. I have also read online all about it for the last 3 months and I am positive thats what I have. The doctors say I need surgery to correct the problem and that it will almost certainly not get better on its own. I've been treating it properly with all the conservative methods and I am on anti- inflams but it not getting better, in fact a little worse. The surgery would move the nerve from behind the elbow to the front and I have also read all about it and totally understand it. I don't want surgery but I also dont want permenent nerve damage from waiting to long. I would love to hear from anyone who has had the nerve transposition surgery or who is in the same situation as me. Thanks in advance for any replies
my heart goes out to you.....sounds like your having an extremely tough time..........i know the pain your going through doesnt make sense to us, but the Lord has a purpose for even our suffering.........ill be praying for you......God bless
I too have this entrapped ulnar nerve from a fall and It has only been a month but I have the pain and numbness that goes with it I like you do not want it to get worse so next Tuesday at the doctors appt I am going to tell him that I want to have the surgery asap because I am not going to have the same problems the rest of my life or even chance them getting worse> Let me know what you decide to do >
I have had this same problem for 3 1/2 years...however it has saused many problems also in my shoulder and neck. i will be going in for surgery in 3 weeks to correct the problems in my elbow. have you thought about releasing the nerve instead of moving it? it is a smaller, easier surgery that can give the same outcome. just something to think about! and by the way, definitely do not wait.. the pain jsut gets worse...
Im on to my second surgery,now and it dont get better,if you prolong it.Just do what the doc says and follow therapys advice and you'll do find.I had the decompression forst but waited too lond now their going back in for submuscular transpositioning........believe when i say dont wait

God Bless you
waiting is the worst thing you can do. there is constant pressure being put on your nerve and nerves do not like that. the longer you wait the more weakness you will incur. This weakness could easily be permanent, the longer you wait. Also, the longer you wait, the more damage is done to the nerve, making it harder if not impossible to repair. Do yourself a favor and dont wait!!
I have had this condition since 2004 from a motorcycle accident.I can't seem to find a doctor to want to do the surgery.Now it has been 7yrs and the condition is getting worst,I'm in constant pain from the moment i wake up to the time i go to sleep.I have had two kenitic test done and now the nerve is dead. I have know idea what too do.I'm to the point that i want to just cut my own hand off.It seems that every doctor i see just wants to charge my insurance company,and not deal with the problem.
My problem was caused when I had my ope heart surgery. It has been 3 months now and my primary care and cardiologist just want to give me medications. I will be seeing my surgeon soon and see what he says. It sounds like you have had enough advise and being as this is 2012, you may of had it repaired. If you have, let me know and if not, I will let you know.