Orthopedics Community
Should I go to the doctor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Should I go to the doctor

My finger was injured in November the doctor told me in January that it wasn't currently broken.  It was crooked and it kept getting worse so I went to the athletic director at school. He told me that it was broken at some point. He had me soak my hand in hot water and stretch it. Then I went back to him and told him that it was hurting worse. It was straight but the joint in the middle was loose. He had me splint it and it's been a week and a half since then. My finger is very swollen and it still hurts. It is straight now. The middle joint is red though. My mom is worried about it an wants me to go see doc. I don't think I need to go. What should I do?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

After your take your finger out of the splint you will suffer from stiffness.

Go slow, and exercise and do some physiotherapy of your fingers regularly and you will be fine.

Take pain killers for the initial couple of days and if you have any complications then you have to visit you orthopedician.

Take care!
I think you should get another opinion. One of my close friends had something similar happen to her and it was ligament damage.  They were able to correct it with surgery. I would go as soon as possible and have to checked by a different doctor.  Good Luck! Keep us posted.  
Go to the doctor.  See an orthopedist if you can.  I think something more is going on with your finger.  Although there is not much that can be done about a broken finger, it is better to have it checked out and corrected now, rather than to live with it and it cause more problems down the road.
Well it's not broken that's the thing it was and wasn't taken care of properly so now it is causing problems
It doesnt matter if it is broken or not, if you are having problems, you should see a doctor.  The best thing to do is try to see a hand surgeon.  It doesnt mean you have to have surgery, they are just more knowledgeable because it is what they work with every day and what they have studied for years.  They know more about the hand than any general practicioner.  They know every bone, muscle, ligament and tendon in your hand and can more than likely diagnose your problem after hearing your symptoms and maybe an xray or a test.  This is what I would recommend just because I have had two operations on my hand/wrist in two years.  If it wasnt for my hand surgeon, I wouldnt have been able to continue working in the field that I am in now.  You may have something going on a little more serious than you think and the best thing to do is have it checked out, just to be on the safe side.  I would hate for it to cause you more problems in the future.  Best wishes.

PS:  I broke two of my fingers tonight lol
Thanks I'll tell my mom that I do need to see doc.  She's been on me about it but I told her I didn't need to because the athletic director at school didn't seem to think I needed to go.  
Dont listen to the athletic director unless he/she has some sort of certification or license in the medical field.  Usually they will tell you anything just to keep you in the sport.
Well I don't do sports so he had nothing to gain or lose and it did get straighter just more painful and more swollen.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Did you at least go for an X-ray?

Rule out bone injuries and the best thing is to follow up with an orthopedician for a proper examination and diagnosis if your finger did not recover after immobilization in a splint even after couple of weeks.

Take care!
Ya I went for x rays in January and he said that it had been broken but wasn't now. He told me to squeeze a tennis ball and sent me home. My finger got worse so that's when I went to my athletic director. He told me to heat it then stretch it which I did for 2 weeks. The pain got worse along with the swelling so I talked to him again. He told me to splint it for 4 weeks because the joint was lose. It has been almost 3 weeks and my finger has gotten straighter but still hurts and is swollen.