Should I need surgery or will this heal?
Here are the results of my boyfriend's knee x-ray and MRI.  Should this heal on its own or will he need surgery?

Previous findings with xray:  Minimal narrowing of the medial tibiofemoral and patellofemoral joint spaces on left side.  

MRI findings:  Complex, unstable tear of the medial meniscus body and posterior horn.  High grade ACL tear through the mid-proximal fibers. Mild diffuse attenuation of the medial femorotibial articular cartilage without focal defect or underlying bony edema.  The patellorfemoral articular cartilage appears intact.  

There is nondisplaced, complex tear with horizontal and verticle components through the body, posterior horn and posterior central root of the medial meniscus.  The lateral meniscus is intact.  The majority of the mid fibers of the ACL are torn; no anterior drawer sign is seen.  The posterior cruciate and collaterl ligaments are intact.  

The extensor mechanism is unremarkable.  There is minimal joint effusion without popliteal cyst.
Hello!

He should go for conservative therapy initially if has time and for this he has to go for a cylinder cast for a period of 3-6 weeks for recovery of meniscus tear and the anterior cruciate ligament tear.

He has to follow up with an orthopedician and if the desired healing does not take place he has to go for arthroscopic repair surgery.

Take care!
That's what the VA is doing for him.  He's already had an X-Ray, MRI and physical therapy.  He had to drive to Birmingham Monday supposedly for a dye test before he could have surgery, but, when he got there they decided not to do the dye test.  They gave him a leg brace to wear so his knee could hopefully heal on its own and told him to come back April 12th.  I was afraid since it was the VA that he wasn't getting the level of attention he would otherwise.

Thanks so much.  I feel better now.
Hello!

I would suggest you to follow up with an orthopedician to understand the scans and at least one follow up.

Take care!
He's going back on April 12.  Thanks!