Orthopedics Community
Should I take Arcoxia for thumb pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Should I take Arcoxia for thumb pain?

I've been experiencing pain in the middle section of my thumb (where it bends) for a month or two. I do not remember hitting it or bending it to far etc.
It doesn't hurt all the time, only when I bend it, use it to open bottles, etc.

I went to the doctor today, he looked at it for a few seconds, said that it's probably some kind of inflammation/mini-arthritis and gave me a prescription for Arcoxia. He said if it doesn't go away in 10 days to come again.

Now this doctor is very young and just out of med school, and I made the appointment just because it was the earliest date I could find in my area. My question is if I should take the pills. I don't like taking pills unless they're necessary, and I'd like to know if let's say he's wrong with his diagnosis - if it's still OK to take the pills.

I'd appreciate any advice,
John
Hey John!

It’s not necessary to take the medication unless the pain/ discomfort is severe. You could skip the medication and if there is no improvement in the symptoms within the described time, you may seek a review.
Hope this helps.

Take care!