Should I take Arcoxia for thumb pain?

I've been experiencing pain in the middle section of my thumb (where it bends) for a month or two. I do not remember hitting it or bending it to far etc.
It doesn't hurt all the time, only when I bend it, use it to open bottles, etc.

I went to the doctor today, he looked at it for a few seconds, said that it's probably some kind of inflammation/mini-arthritis and gave me a prescription for Arcoxia. He said if it doesn't go away in 10 days to come again.

Now this doctor is very young and just out of med school, and I made the appointment just because it was the earliest date I could find in my area. My question is if I should take the pills. I don't like taking pills unless they're necessary, and I'd like to know if let's say he's wrong with his diagnosis - if it's still OK to take the pills.

I'd appreciate any advice,
John
Hey John!

It’s not necessary to take the medication unless the pain/ discomfort is severe. You could skip the medication and if there is no improvement in the symptoms within the described time, you may seek a review.
Hope this helps.

Take care!