Orthopedics Community
Shoulder, clavicle and sternum pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Shoulder, clavicle and sternum pain

I have been going to an orthopedic doctor for the last month now. Originally she sounded worried that my clavicle was in danger of hitting vital organs after seeing xrays. On the X-Rays my left clavicle appears to be rotated, and is visibly deformed from the outside. I have trouble with overhead activities, including incline bench, dumbbell bench of any kind, and anything overhead. I get a severe stiffness and burning sensation that last for days, along with clicking and popping. They made me get a CT scan, and told me my joints and bones look fine. But I know they aren't. The surgeon I saw said they don't want to touch my clavicle because it's 'too dangerous' were her words. I still have pain, i'm taking ibueprofen 800 and it does little to nothing. They gave me a cortisone injection 4 weeks ago, and it flared up for a few days then got better. But now on and off again its still continuing to hurt.

The reason I am posting tonight is, I am sitting here on Skype with my wife and son (i am stationed overseas) and I  notice to small lumps on my left shoulder, what feels like is the way my collarbone has moved, it's sitting right between them. My right one does not have these bumps, visible or able to touch. They are barely visible with my arms at my sides, but if I cross my left arm across my body, you can see them clear as day. Any tips on if I should consult my doctor about this discovery or not (they never had me cross my arms) I feel like I've become a pest to them, but I just want to be fixed.
anything???
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the original cause of the symptoms or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult for me to comment on the situation. It is true that it would be too dangerous to explore around the region of the clavicle without any obvious cause, but if it is indicated, it could be done. As far as the lumps are concerned I am not sure what these could be. Possibilities include collar bone dislocation, lymphnodes, bony/ cartilaginous or soft tissue growths etc. I would suggest considering an evaluation by a primary care physician or an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!