Orthopedics Community
Shoulder MRI results interpretation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Shoulder MRI results interpretation

Can you tell me what this means in laymens terms and if I will need surgery.

The report is as follows:
There are changes of mild supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendinopathy: however, noo full or partial thickness tearing is identified.  The teres minor tendon appears intact.  Subscapularis tendinopathy with partial-thickness deep surface tearing and fraying of the distal fibers can be seen.  The deep surface tearing and fraying involve approximately 30% of the tendon thickness.  No definite full-thickness tearing of the Subscapularis is identified.  No atrpohic changes of the rotator cuff musculature can be seen.

Conclusion: Supraspinatus, infraspinatus, and Subscapular tendinopathy.  Partial-thickness deep surface tearing and fraying of the Subscapular tendon fibers can be seen distally.

Mild acromioclavicular joint arthrosis

I have the same symptoms, as you have. Where and how did you get this interpretation? Is MRI possible for shoulder muscle?

Ms.Bobbie
what are the pain symptoms?

as for MRI results - i dont think you NEED surgery

some arthritis and tendonitis.

treatment- anti inflamatory meds or an injection.

unless you are really in a LOT of pain

good luck
i am going through a shoulder problem as well. i had arthroscopic subchromial decompression surgery in august. i returned to work in december and am still having problems. i had impingement syndrome, bursitis and and glemohumeral instibility. describe to me your pain? go to a search engine and put in a few key words and see if you can pull up any diagrams or pictures. please resond back, i am also looking for any info.
I had to have five surgeries on my shoulder, and the reason why was for multi directional instability, with complete ruptures of numerous tendons.. All I would advise is that if you do have surgery make sure you go to the best because the first shot is the best shot for correcting MDI, and if you do have instability the chances are without good physical therapy you will end up with more tears, and more problems. So find out if you have instability which is done by a specialist that understands instability of the shoulder, a MRI will not reveal instability because you are not moving your arm during the MRI. Then take it from there physical therapy may be a beneift to you.  Good luck
I have subscapularis tendinopathy with small, focal and partial thickness articular sided tear of the supraspinatus tendon.  Any suggestions on how I should start treating this?