Orthopedics Community
Shoulder MRI results please explain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Shoulder MRI results please explain

Please explain in laymens terms, the results of my mri and any suggestions for best healing for me.

Findings:
There is a type 11 acromion.  There is no os acromiale.  The coracoacromial ligament is not thickened.  There are mild arthritic changes within the acromioclavicular joint, with mild bone marrow edema within the distal clavicle.  There is no evidence for a fracture or osteonecrosis.  The supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons are intact.  The subscapularis tendon is unremarkable.  The long head of the biceps tendon is positioned within the bicipital groove.  The biceps anchor is intact.  There is a small joint effusion in the glenohumeral joint.  The is no convincing evidence  for a labral tear.  There is no paralabral cyst.  There is no muscle enlargement, atrophy, or edema.
Impression:  MILD ARTHRITIC CHANGES IN THE ACROMIOCLAVICULAR JOINT WITH BONE MARROW EDEMA WITHIN THE DISTAL CLAVICLE.  SMALL JOINT EFFUSION IN THE GLENOHUMERAL JOINT.  THERE IS NO EVIDENCE FOR A ROTATOR CUFF TEAR.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
hello nitaforitta,
in layman sense i would say that your MRI means
1) there is some wear and tear in your joint.
2) there is little water / fluid collection in your joint
3) your shoulder muscle is in perfect condition.

I can help you more , if you can brief me about your shoulder problem.
Hope this much information helps you.
regards
abhijeet
Thank you for your reply. I really really appreciate it.  My injury happened from using shoulder equipment called the Shoulder Press and the lateral raise at the gym.  I had never used the equipment before and my arm started to hurt.  I was on Celebrex (anti-inflamatory medicine) for 3 months, but now I stop taking it and think I don't need it.  I have improved a lot.  I have a little limited range of motion.  It's hard to raise hand behind back, and I must be careful putting my top on over my head and taking it off.  And there is that little bit of stiffness.  Do you think I will eventually get even better with less stiffness and be able to put my top on and off more easily?  My injury happened around September 2009.  Please give me you advise.  Do you think the water has gone away?  What is the good news and bad news about my injury for me.  Thank you.