Orthopedics Community
Shoulder Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Shoulder Pain

I would like to know what the purpose of a ultrasound guided injection in my shoulder would be?  It would be injected into the biceps sheath.  Is this for pain relief or is it to find out if surgery is warranted.  Thank you
I'm not 100% positive about the injection into the bicep sheath, however, I have had a guided injection in my hip.  The reason they use the guidance is to make sure they get the injection medication exactly in the right spot.  In my case, the injection was a steroid injection and my ortho surgeon told me that IF it gave me even a couple o fminutes of pain relief, then I not only got the pain relief, but it also told him that my problem actually WAS originating IN the hip joint itself - so your injection could be for both reasons as well - pain relief and also to let the doctors know if they are on the right track in figuring out exactly what is wrong and whether surgery is needed.

By the way - my injection was not nearly as bad as I had thought it was going to be - they numbed me up really well before they did the injection and then the injection itself contained a numbing agent in it - so after the first initial "bee sting" when they gave me the first numbing shot, I really didn't feel much at all - some pressure, but no pain.