Orthopedics Community
Shoulder injury?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Shoulder injury?

Sorry this will be detailed, but please help if you have input. Thank you!

I have extensive pain and nerve damage in my right clavicle, humorous and scapula that leads into the right side of my neck. The mobility in my right shoulder/forearm is weakened and I have tingling in my right hand fingers. I cannot hold my arm up for that long and feel much pain when I do. I have been in treatment for over a year now. I have seen several chiropractors, ART specialists, massage therapy on  a weekly basis and nothing is working *PERMANENTLY* I gain temporary relief and then the pain, throbbing, aching, numbness starts all over again. I am 25 years old and in extreme pain on a daily basis. I was in a car accident on April 11th 2011, it wasn't major but I was rear-ended by multiple cars on the highway in stop and go traffic. I have had X-rays- they were normal however, I am contemplating an MRI or ultrasound to try and grasp what is really going in. I just got back from a trip to the Caribbean where I was more active with my arm/shoulder snorkeling and my entire right side feels bruised and swollen. I have no bruising, no discoloration but I have a lot of knots in my muscles that feel like little rocks. I am not overweight-i'm 5''3 and 112 pounds and am very healthy. I have not been weightlifting because I fear it would cause more strain, pain. But I walk regularly, hike and ride my bike. I used to do a TON of weightlifting (before this all started). Should I try an musculoskeletal doctor? Orthopedist? Continue with the Chiropractor? Perhaps I need surgery? Please help if possible.

Thank you in advance,

Ashlee

Thank you in advance,

Ashlee
Hey Ashlee!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms or predict if this has been a result of weight lifting, the accident or over use. Possibilities that may need to be considered include inflammation, degeneration, muscular injuries, injuries to ligaments/ tendons, nerve impingement or pressure, stress fractures etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile I would suggest resting the shoulder and the arm and avoiding excessive stress on it.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!