Orthopedics Community
Shoulder pain increasing after replacement surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I had shoulder replacement surgery in September 2008 (severe osteoarthritis).  I seemed to do quite well right after surgery (allowing for normal post operative pain and stiffness).  I was in my immobilizer for six weeks after surgery and had all the normal post operative PT appointments (in addition to the ones I had prior to surgery).

Over the past month or so, the pain in my shoulder has been increasing to the point where it is waking me up several times a night again like it was before surgery.  I also have to have a pillow behind my shoulder when I sleep in order to get any kind of sleep at all.  The pain is also pretty constant during the day, so it's not just a positional thing at night.  I have not done any major lifting with the affected arm, nor have I injured it again (to my knowledge anyway).  I also have notice some diminishing of range of motion, although not as bad yet as it was before surgery.

I was wondering how common this is and what the possible causes might be.  I'm hoping to be able to avoid a second surgery.  

Thank you
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Pain will only relieve with physiotherapy and if it does not decrease over a period of time of 3 months after surgery you should go near your operating surgeon to know the reason of the pain. I do not think you would need any surgery, even with nerve irritation or some inflammation with a tendon it might occur. Good to diagnose your problem and then go for cure. Take care!