Orthopedics Community
Shoulder surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Shoulder surgery

Hi, I am a 47 year old female who had arthroscopic shoulder surgery in November.2007.  My first MRI report before surgery read... Shows a definate high grade articular surface supraspinatus tear with suspected small full thickness communication explaining the subacromial bursal distention.I still have limited motion and pain in my shoulder constantly.My shoulder aches all the time and I get pains that shoot down the outside of my arm to the elbow.I told my surgeon about the problems I was still having and he just kept telling me my shoulder was fine.His report on the operation reads : shoulder arthroscopy,subcromial decompression.debridement of partial thickness rotator cuff tear.This surgeeon said there was no more he could do for me.I went and got a second opinion and this doctor wants to do surgery. He said it could be that he needs to complete and take down the high grade part and make it a full thickness tear and advance the healthy tendon and reattach it..Not sure what to do at this point.Any advice from anyone would be appreciated... Thanks
Hello Dear,

The indications for repeat shoulder surgery to complete and take down the high grade part and make it a full thickness tear and the success depend on your findings and imaging tests. I would advise you to seek one more opinion.
Best
Thank you for responding.This was my 3rd opinion. I have been treated for this shoulder injury since April.2007. I have had two MRIs. One before surgery and one after surgery.My last MRI was in March 27,.2008.My second opinion was from a doctor who is in the same practice as my surgeon. He stated that I have a positive impingement still and the rotator cuff strength is weak with external rotation.This doctor had me go for the second MRI.The findings were The supraspinatus tendon is slightly thickened and has slightly increased signal present in a longitudinal fashion,characteristic of tendinopathy with equivocal longitudinal partial thickness tear. there are few degenerative A small amount of fluid within the subacromial bursa.changes noted at the insertion site on the greater tuberosity. a small amount of fluid within the subacromial bursa.I really don't understand all of the medical terms.All I know is my shoulder is not any better after surgery and it is painful and very frustrating.  
I forgot to mention the doctor that I got my 2nd opinion from said there is no more he could do for me.thats why I already went for the 3rd opinion. He would like to do the surgery.
Hello Dear,
If the supraspinatus tendon is slightly thickened and has slightly increased signal present in a longitudinal fashion,characteristic of tendinopathy with equivocal longitudinal partial thickness tear and few degenerative changes and small amount of fluid within the subacromial bursa,you should opt for further surgery.
Best
Thank you so much for your time.I really wasn't sure what to do at this point.I am not thrilled about another surgery,but I can't take much more of my arm and shoulder hurting all of the time.I guess  I don't understand why the first surgery didn't fix the problem or why he didn't fix the tear.Thank you again for the advice. I greatly appreciate it.