Orthopedics Community
Smooth muscle blood test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Smooth muscle blood test

Hi everyone
on my recent blood tests i had raised smooth muscle blood test result which my doctor says is consistant with my osteoarthritis - i also have spinal stenosis. i have never heard of smooth muscle before - thought it was related to cancer! can anyone help me with answers?
There are three different types of muscle fiber's viz; Skeletal Muscle fiber's attached to the bones and peripheries, Cardiac muscle fibers found in heart and Smooth muscle fibers present in various organs as covering and in vessels of our body.
I have not understood what test was done in blood which showed raised smooth muscle.
Secondly there is no co-relation as far as I know that exists between osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis and smooth muscle problems.
Can you reply and also check it out with your doctor regarding this.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
Hi thanks for comment. I get regular liver function blood tests every 2 months as they are always raised as i have a haemotoma on left lobe of liver - had 2 ct scans a year apart and it has not grown - the consultant i saw does'nt seem concerned and said it was nothing to worry about but my gp doctor keeps a check and gives me blood tests every 2 month. the last twice i telephoned for results the reception said the smooth muscle result was raised but doc had left message to say it tied up with me having osteoarthritis etc - i get scared something is being hidden from me as couple of years ago the doc filled out form for me and had on it autoimune liver disease? why would doc not say if i did have something or is it just my imagination?
what do you think?
Hi Mezzy,
How are you feeling?
I am sorry to say it is not clear from your post what did the receptionist meant by saying raised smooth muscle marker in blood.
I think it is indeed your imagination that doctor would not reveal details to their patient.
In fact it is in the interest of patient and also the doctor that doctors usually reveal each and every detail to the patient.
Can you elaborate a little bit on your condition?
Bye.