Orthopedics Community
Snapping Hip Syndrome. Possible Hip Flexor Injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hello!

I am a Soldier in the U.S Army. Most people if not all know that Army doctor's are not really the best at diagnosing their Soldier's lasting injuries as they attempt to give us a quick fix and get back to duty.

Well, about a year ago, I was running a PT test and on the 7th of 8 laps I felt a terrible pulling pain in my right hip in the front just over and above the joint. I had a bone scan that revealed no fractures and I was sent to a physical therapist. Now, the physical therapist claims I have snapping hip syndrome because when i bend my knee at 90 degrees, parallel to the ground and rotate outward, it pop and it hurts. But it also hurts when I drive for more than about an hour, when I stand/walk for more than about 30 mins to an hour. I also suffer if I lie on my right side for more than about five minutes.

When I massage the muscle in the crease between my hip and leg it seems to relieve some of the pressure and ease the pain a bit.

So, is it likely that I have injured/torn one of my hip flexors? Should I ask for an MRI?