Orthopedics Community
Spinal Fusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Spinal Fusion

I had a spinal fusion 2 years ago on c4/5 & 5/6. The pain I was having has nots gone if not worse. I now have to have another fusion in c6/7. I am loosing the feeling & coordination in my left hand because my spinal cord is trapped. The pain & numbness is constant & I havn't had a full nights sleep in over 3 years. I am afraid when the next fusion is done, will it go down to the next level of my spine, c7/8. Painkillers dont help the pain whatsoever. I only hopeIi do not have to send the rest of my life in this much pain & discomfort.  Is there anything else that can be done for me?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would want you to go for latest scans of your spine and check if your symptoms are due to the fused spines or due to other cervical vertebra involved.

Go for a second opinion and take intermittent NSAIDs.

You can consider taking steroid injections.

Follow proper ergonomics and learn proper positions to avoid pain.

You can also consider taking low dose naltrexone if NSAIDs do not help.

Take care!
I have had the steroid injections & they didn't help. I have now been advised to have a disc replacement in C6/7. If this does not eleviate the pain & numbness, then they will go into the back of my neck & release the trapped nerves which may be in C4/5 & C5/6. Over the last 2 years since the fusion I have had numerous MRI & CT scans. Also electronic tests. Maybe the disk replacement might solve the problem. Thank you for the last reply.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would suggest you to go for the sugery as your conservative therapy after the fusion did not help.

The most important thing is to understand the pathology at all the levels of the spine and if required follow up with a neurosurgeon along with an orthopedician.

Take care!
Thank you for your replies. I will indeed have any surgery they think will be appropriate. The hospital have asked me to contact the surgeon to discuss what action I would like to take. All I can do is accept what the surgeon thinks is best for me as I am not the expert.  
IF YOUR SMART, ''DON'T'' HAVE ANYMORE SURGERY DONE BEFORE YOU GO TO ANOTHER DR. AFTER TELLING MY GR. ALL MY 'OTHER' PROBLEMS, HE INSISTED I HAVE THE INFUSION DONE ON MY C4 & C5, ONE WAS AN OLD & THE OTHER NEW. I'VE HAD RA ALL MY LIFE, BEEN TAKING MEDICINES THAT I DON'T HEAL, ECT. I ENDED UP STAYING IN THE HOSPITAL FOR OVER 6 WEEKS, I CAUGHT ''EVERY'' DISEASE YOU CAN GET IN THE HOSPITAL, STAFF INFECTION IN MY BLOOD, DOUBLE AMMO. HEART PROBLEMS, YOU NAME IT, AFTER ALL THAT, MY NECK IS STILL IN WORSE SHAPE THEN BEFORE, THE SCREWS CAME LOSE, ITS VERY PAINFUL TO EVEN MOVE, THE DR. SAID LETS HOPE IT FUSES BY ITS SELF ??? I'M THINKING ON GETTING IN TOUCH WITH A LAWYER, YOU SHOULD DO THE SAME, NOT WORTH GOING IN AGAIN.
I believe my pain is from my fusion C5-6 12 years ago. I have been advised to have 2 more fusion,but I can tell you that a radiofrequency ablation of the cervical nerves works wonders for me. Maybe concider this as an option. Good luck..