Orthopedics Community
Spiral fracture of the tibia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Spiral fracture of the tibia

Recently, due to a not-so-smart decision on my part, I fractured my tibia (spiral fracture right above my ankle). I went to an orthopedic doctor and he told me it was too swollen to put a cast on. So, I was given a "boot" and told not to put any pressure on my right leg. Long story short, the doctor and nurse were very vague about my recovery and what I should be doing. I was told that after two weeks, when I came back for another x-ray, that there was a chance I would be able to walk on it again. So, to sum it up.. I have a spiral fracture in my tibia, no surgery required (as long as I stay off of it), and I was given a boot instead of a cast.
Now, I have very little pain in my leg at all after about a week and a half of recovery and I feel little to no pain when I put pressure on it. My question is (I cannot get in touch with my doctor), what are the chances I will be able to get this boot off and begin to walk again after just 2-3  weeks of wearing it? Also, occasionally I can't help but put pressure on my leg and I am afraid it may cause me to need surgery. If I do something "wrong" that would make the bone not be able to heal itself, would I feel some pain? Because, I feel very little pain with the injury right now, it gets better every day. I'm assuming it was not a very severe fracture.

Thanks! Mitch
Tags: spiral fracture, Tibia, help, bone, "spiral fracture
Let me start off by saying that I am not a doctor.That being said, I have never heard of anyone walking 2 weeks after  breaking their tibia. I too, broke my tibia (as well as my fibula-spiral break-)I had ORIF surgery w/an IM nail therefore, my tibia was stable allowing me to touch weight bare right away and didn't have an xray for 6 weeks and even then it was far from being healed to walk on.  I would really just keep an eye on the swelling and try to relax.I know alot of doctors suggest NSAIDs but there are studies that suggest these delay bone healing but if you have swelling,NSAIDs and ice may be the only way to get it under control.-Severe swelling can cause a list of problems if too long- Sorry, not alot of help.Hang in there!