Orthopedics Community
Spiral tibial fracture.
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Spiral tibial fracture.

I obtained a spiral fracture of my right tibia 5 weeks ago. I had open reduction internal fixation via intramedullary nail the day of the break. 3 weeks after the injury my pain had significantly decreased and I took myself off all pain meds. For the last week however the pain has come back w/ a vengeance. I'm 25% weight bearing but this has now become too painful. I'm wondering if this is a normal part of the healing process or a sign of something wrong? How long does this injury typically stay painful? How long for the average pt to achieve full weight bearing? I've been told that this injury is painful and slow healing and that I can expect it to take 6-12 months to heal. Does that mean 6-12 monts until I can walk, or 6-12 months until high impact sports like running?

Thanks for your time!