Spiral tibial fracture.
I obtained a spiral fracture of my right tibia 5 weeks ago. I had open reduction internal fixation via intramedullary nail the day of the break. 3 weeks after the injury my pain had significantly decreased and I took myself off all pain meds. For the last week however the pain has come back w/ a vengeance. I'm 25% weight bearing but this has now become too painful. I'm wondering if this is a normal part of the healing process or a sign of something wrong? How long does this injury typically stay painful? How long for the average pt to achieve full weight bearing? I've been told that this injury is painful and slow healing and that I can expect it to take 6-12 months to heal. Does that mean 6-12 monts until I can walk, or 6-12 months until high impact sports like running?

Thanks for your time!
hello Wildmountainchild,
don't worry. ALL will be ok, but it will take some time. Spirls fractures of tibia take a long time to heal especially if it's fixed in open manner. You need to follow up with your orthopaedician at a regular internal of time period, and put weight accouding to his advice, otherwise the implant will break. Full weight bearing will start only once your fracture looks well healed up on the xray.
Hope your query is satisfied. If you got more questions, do ask in the same manner.
regards
abhijeet