Orthopedics Community
Sprained Ankle 4 weeks ago

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Sprained Ankle 4 weeks ago

Hi, I badly sprained my ankle for weeks ago I was using crutches for the first 3 weeks as I couldn't bear any weight on it at all. I've been walking on small distances, as it was still swollen. After 3 days of walking without curtches it has badly swollen up and I can't put any pressure on it again, it's very very painful to move, even the slightest movement. The hospital originaly said it wasn't broken or anything. I went back today and they said it was normal even though they didn't look at it at all. Does this sound normal to anyone?? I believe from my symptons I have a grade 3 sprain. Also does anyone have any guidelines on how much to rest it and use it, as the hosptial have been rubbish and told me to rest it till the swelling goes down, but today told me I have over rested it.

Thanks in advance

Selina
Hi Selina,
How are you feeling?
Ankle sprains cause sequential disruption of: Anterolateral joint capsule, Anterior Tibio-Fibular Ligament and Calcaneo-Fibular Ligament.
Initial management should consist of RICE protocol.
Rest: no weight-bearing activities for the first 24 hours after the injury.
Ice: apply ice packs to the area that is painful or the focal point of the injury. Apply ice intermittently for the first 24 hours, utilizing a pattern of 20 minutes of ice followed by 60 minutes without ice.
Compression: apply an ACE bandage or other elastic wrap to ankle joint to help prevent swelling.
Elevation: elevate the leg to reduce swelling.
Stirrup ankle brace to facilitate early ambulation
NSAIDs may help with pain.
Gentle active ROM as tolerated is advised.
For severe sprains, consider a formal strengthening and proprioception retraining program with physical therapy.
This could be done for 3-4 weeks and review status after that.
Keep me informed if you have any further queries.
Bye.
Like Selina08 I sprained my ankle.  However, this was on 4/12/08, I was put into a fracture boot, sent to physical therapy etc.  I have no strenght in my toes. I can not stand on my tip toes on that foot, my little toe pops in and out and my ankle locked up today, only for a moment but it brought me to my knees, it has been more than 120 days now, I stopped wearing the boot the end of june, my ankle gets egg shaped swelling out of the back, and right in front of my ankle bone.  Looks really weird.  I have had x-rays, and now an MRI (don't know the results).  I am 47 years old and have never had anything so bizarre happen, and it is taking forever to get back on my feet.  I don't understand how my little toe is so affected by all of this.  I have exercised done all of my ROM excercises, stretch before I get up in the morning. Is there going to be an end to this, or am I going to just go through life dragging this foot around.

Debbie